Remember me
Lost Password Register

Freshwater Jellyfish
05-13-2004, 10:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2004, 10:31 AM by Mark Y.)
Freshwater Jellyfish
Perhaps you're all aware of 'freshwater jellyfish' - I wasn't until today. Enjoy.

Have anyone dove with these jellies? If so, where?
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
05-13-2004, 10:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2004, 10:41 AM by LKunze.)
Re:Freshwater Jellyfish
Mark, here is a link to a previous thread on this.

06-09-2004, 09:26 AM,
Hate to revive an older thread, but freshwater jellies are regularly seen in Redgranite Quarry in Redgranite, WI.

Here's a link to directions and a dive site report:

Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
06-09-2004, 10:33 AM,
Are there any dive sites in minnesota to see freshwater jellfish and what do they look like? Can they sting you like the ocean variety? what depth do they hang out at? 8)
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
06-09-2004, 10:43 AM,
Unfortunately, I've never seen them myself. Every time they are out and everyone goes diving to see them, I've been out of town. *grump* Hopefully this year!! Anyway, from what I have heard they are seen in the shallower depths in groups - supposed to be pretty neat.

They are small (quarter sized) and whitish. While they technically do have the ability to sting you - they have stingers for food collection - from what I've read they aren't powerful enough to even bother humans.

The link in the first post of this thread has some pictures of the little guys on it.
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
06-09-2004, 01:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2004, 01:14 PM by LKunze.)
Foster Arends in Rochester is MN. Wink
04-01-2005, 10:17 AM,
Re: Freshwater Jellyfish
Has anyone actually seen these things firsthand or is this just a rumour?
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
04-01-2005, 03:27 PM,
I haven't seen any in MN yet, but I used to dive in quarries in Ohio, and I have seen them once an a while.  They are fairly small, so in order to see them, you usually need fairly clear water.  You also need to be very observant, since from any distance they would get lost among the other things suspended in the water.

Jeff 
Jeff
09-28-2006, 06:06 PM,

Last update: September 28, 2006 – 6:07 PM

Jellyfish appear in Minnesota lakes
Tiny freshwater jellyfish, usually rarely seen in the area, have been making appearances in northeastern Minnesota lakes this year -- including Little Sturgeon Lake north of Hibbing and Dodo Lake near Duluth.
Associated Press, Associated Press

DULUTH, Minn. — Tiny freshwater jellyfish, usually rarely seen in the area, have been making appearances in northeastern Minnesota lakes this year.

In recent weeks, there have been reported jellyfish sightings at a few area lakes, including Little Sturgeon Lake north of Hibbing and Dodo Lake near Duluth.

These jellyfish spend most of their lives as underwater polyps that live on or near lake bottoms. On seldom occasion, they develop into dime- to quarter-sized jellyfish that can be seen floating and pulsing near the surface. The "blooms" last only a few days with most sightings occurring in August and September.

"It's an odd little critter that's in some of our lakes that we don't know a whole lot about," said Gary Montz, aquatic biologist for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources division of ecological services. "They sometimes don't appear for years, then suddenly there's an explosion of them in a particular lake. It only lasts for a few days, though, so a lot of people have never seen one."

Dr. Terry Peard, professor of biology at Indiana University, said there could me more jellyfish sightings now as northern lakes get warmer earlier in the year and stay warmer later.

Freshwater jellyfish are too small to sting people as larger saltwater jellyfish can.
09-28-2006, 07:59 PM,
Wow! Old thread revived Smile

I have now finally satisfied my curiosity and dove with the little guys - twice!

So, if any of you want to make a road trip and come over to Wisconsin, I'd be happy to take you on a tour of the fabulous Redgranite Quarry.  They've been there now for 4 or 5 years in a row - they are pretty neat looking.  Not much to look at really, but the fact that you are seeing jellies in a freshwater quarry is pretty cool.