Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hammerhead rebreather add-on
05-20-2004, 09:39 AM,
Hammerhead rebreather add-on
I was just wondering if anyone has used the hammerhead in combonation with the inspiration? And if so, how did you like it? 8)
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
05-20-2004, 03:15 PM,
Re:Hammerhead rebreather add-on
As far as I know, there aren't any local divers using it. It's been a pretty big point of contraversy in the rebreather market. AP strongly discourages it's use, they claim that the oxygen controllers haven't been through extensive enough testing. There are some nice features though, like wrist mounted display units.
05-21-2004, 05:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2004, 05:06 PM by john j.)
I have no experience personally with a Hammerhead, so keep that in mind when you read my comments. I know someone locally that bought one, but he has not used it on a dive yet.

I read the user manual carefully and I wasn't all that impressed. I can see why some people might like it due to the built-in deco computer, etc, but that kind of stuff is not something I want to have. I won't elaborate here on that but would be happy to discuss later. I also didn't like the fact that it really only has one control computer. The other is just a PO2 monitor-it does not control the system. If your primary fails, you only have a monitor as back up, not a second active control system. Again, more of a personal preference than a major issue.

Wrist mount computer like the Hammerhead offers would be nice, I will agree with that.

It's also very expensive and the price recently went up even more. I hear they are selling well in Europe. Why would the price go up if production volume is also going up? Answer: greed? I don't know. Seems funny to me. I personally wouldn't pay that kind of money for something unless I really thought it was fantastic. I don't think it is fantastic.

Again, I have never dived with one personally, so someone with experience on a Hammerhead should be trusted more than me on this topic.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
07-30-2004, 02:30 AM,
Well, I am one of the original HH owners and users and was involved in its initial testing and programing

I use mine in prefernece to the original Inspiration controllers for many reasons

a) Much better set point control
b) true redundancy and seperation of handsets
c) built in GF deco
d) batteries out of loop
e) HUD and multiple alarms
f) Wrist units rather than danglies
g) Backlit (My insp is an old unlit one)

As for it having just the single O2 controller thats true (also true of MEG, Prism, MK15/15.5/16, CIS), but it does have a second one, namely me. ALL inspiration divers can fly the unit manually if you have a PO2 readout. The secondary of the HH is just that, a bombproof totally separate PO2 monitor and safety device (it flashes, flashes the hud and vibrates your mouthpiece if it sees a problem)

There are also a lot of design criteria in the electronics that make them superior to the originals. Also once you have mastered a HH unit you can fit them to KISS, MEG, MK and Inspirations so you can dive multiple units with the familier controls

As for expensive, have you seen what APD and SDI want for the new electronics for the Inspiration and Evolution?
Diver Mole
visit