Remember me
Lost Password Register

BP/wings
05-21-2004, 03:09 PM,
BP/wings
I am thinking about starting to aquire a second set of gear. I am wanting a BP/wings setup for versatility (sp) any sugestions on where I can compare different wings and or BPs?
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-21-2004, 04:42 PM,
Re:BP/wings
I believe you can rent from SD&T. They also, have some setups.
05-22-2004, 10:26 PM,
When you get the PB setup make sure it's correctly fitted for you - there's nothing worse than an ill fitting BP (actually there is: a wrap around BCD). This link will give you a detailed, no-nonsense description how to properly adjust your harness: - even if you decide to use a quickrelease on the harness :Smile
05-23-2004, 10:49 AM,
I did my OW dives in a BP/Wings. I bought a Sherwood outback after cert.(I should have bought the BP :Smile ) Now I am wading through the different brands and styles of wings. I think I will get a single tank wing to start with and a larger wing later if I do any tech diving.
I dive wet so think I will want 40# +/- lift to offset compression of wetsuit
concidering a FredT backplate to finish myself to save $ the more I save on plate and webbing the more choices I have for wings.
I guess my next stop should be SD&T to look at some wings first hand.
05-23-2004, 11:01 AM,

That's the smart choice - there's no one wing that'll cover all your bases. I personally own three wings, one for single tank diving, one for double AL80's and one for double 104's.

Are you diving single steel or AL tanks? Either way, #30 of lift should be plenty - otherwise I think you might be carrying too much weight on your belt. With a sinle AL80 in a drysuit and 400g thinsulate, I carry #6 on the plate and an extra #10 of lead. With a wetsuit this would be a bit less. Try to ditch some weight. It's amazing how very little weight you need when you relax in the water.

SD&T has great package deals on wings and plates, so it might be cheaper to buy everything from them. Personally I'd recommend going with the Diverite Venture wing for now, and depending on whether you'll be diving double AL's or steels to either buy the Trek wing (with bungees removed) or Classic afterwards. You can also get alternatives from Halcyon or Oxycheq.
05-23-2004, 03:40 PM,
I dive with LP steel I have a 95 & 112.
I curently carry 24#s 7 in each weight pocket and a 5 on each side of my tank in ditchable pockets. I was thinkin with a 9# plate I whould try 10# on a ditchable belt. I could then add if I need ether moor weight or better trim.I am a 260# diver so that is close to 10% of my weight as I lose weight behind my belt I should be able to lose weight on my belt ;D
I will check out SD&T when I can get into town
Thanks for the link I will spend some time there reading.
05-23-2004, 04:21 PM,
Diving with twin 95's wearing a Viking Pro drysuit I use no wt. except for SS backplate.
Before the SS backplate I would sometimes use ankle wt. but really don't like using them. (proper trim and all that)
Al