Remember me
Lost Password Register

Assisting Buddies
05-23-2004, 08:59 PM,
Assisting Buddies
Doses DIR have anything to say about assisting a buddy during gear up? Being a support during putting on flippers etc?

Leon
05-24-2004, 05:09 AM,
Re:Assisting Buddies
As far as the second part goes, DIR divers wear spring heel straps on their fins which makes it very easy to put the fins on without help.
05-24-2004, 07:04 AM,
lrmoll,

I feel like I'm stalking you, from discussion to discussion here Smile

Spring straps go a long way to making you self sufficient...once you try using them, you'll wonder why you ever put up with any type of strap for so long!

(BTW - I'm not GUE trained in any way shape or form....I am cave trained, so that puts me in the hogarthian camp, but I'm not dir in any way)

Going back to the buddy assistance with fins - I've got two ways of doing it. On a boat I'll slip them on while sitting down, or use some part of the boat to hang onto while I slip them on while doing the "figure 4".

On shore dives, I'll grab my fins, pump up my bc and float. You can then do a figure 4 on your back pretty painlessly and put your fins on.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to help/be helped...I just like to be self sufficient. It's quicker, easier in the long run, and I don't have to bother anyone else!
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
05-24-2004, 08:05 AM,
Once you're properly fitted out, there usually aren't any problems getting all your equipment on by yourself. Don't forget, DIR is about streamlining, so there's never a CF to deal with.
Being able to put on your fins yourself may have a lot to do with 1) having your harness correctly fitted, 2) wearing a properly fitting drysuit, and 3) maybe even more important wearing properly fitting underwear.
It goes without saying that your buddy is always there to lend you a hand, and there's absolutely no shame in asking for a little help - your buddy is as much a part of your "DIR rig" as your gear!
This is also the beauty of diving DIR, in that all of your buddies dive the exact same rig, know exactly what to look for when asked, and there's never any confusion. Also, a complete buddy check is performed before each dive to make sure you haven't forgotten anything.

Hope this helps,
David
05-24-2004, 07:50 PM,
Sometimes I ask questions here just to see where the discussion will go. Not necessarily that I agree or disagree with an issue. Sometimes being the devils advocate gives clarity of thought to an issue. Still working with a buddy should not be thought of as a bother. I think it adds to the pleasure of the dive as long as it is not excessive.
Leon
05-24-2004, 08:03 PM,
I definitely enjoy diving w/ a buddy - I rarely go diving by myself. And hey, if you need help here and there, I don't mind at all. And I don't mind asking here and there (sometimes...). I've just had some really bad experiences w/ some real cf's that made me be very "self helping" ;D
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
05-24-2004, 10:17 PM,

Rule #1 (since this is the DIR forum Wink)