Remember me
Lost Password Register

Tanks, Rebreather Bottles and Spare Airs May be Confiscated
05-25-2004, 01:25 PM,
Tanks, Rebreather Bottles and Spare Airs May be Confiscated
If you are packing for a dive trip aboard, keep in mind that the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) specifically prohibits scuba tanks or any compredded gas cylinder from being included in carry-on and checked luggage. This prohibition applies to pony bottles and rebreather bottles as well. And in some cases even the small Spare Air.
Submersible Systems, the makers of Spare Air, interprets the TSA regulation to mean that it is okay to include a Spare Air in checked luggage (never in carry on) as long as the valve is off so that screeners can see that it is empty of compressed gas.
Undercurrent, however has recieved reports that some screeners have confiscated empty Spare Air cylinders and Spare Air marketing assistant Keith Thomas confirmed those reports. In another case a rebreather bottle was confiscated.
Keep in mind that when something is confiscated you may not know until you get off the plane.
One way to get around this problem according to Thomas is to ship the cylinder to your destination if they can't be rented on site.
05-25-2004, 02:39 PM,
Re:Tanks, Rebreather Bottles and Spare Airs May be Confiscated
When did these 'rules' go into effect? The TSA 'rule(s)' is asinine! Why can't I bring a cylinder if the valve has been removed? The contents are at a very safe pressure of 1 ATA. This makes me mad. >Sad
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
05-25-2004, 02:52 PM,
Mark, didn't you just fly a couple of months ago with bottles?

05-25-2004, 03:12 PM,
my understanding was it couldn't be in luggage. they could go on your plane as a freight item. May need to contact somone with authority to confirm rules
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-25-2004, 03:39 PM,
Now this is irony!! Go to the TSA web page and they show a scuba diver getting out of the water.

Check this page and you can clearly read that NO TANKS in checked or carry on luggage.

I wonder when this changed? Or has it always been there, but not enforced.
05-26-2004, 10:16 AM,
That is stupid, I've even got correspondence (in the form of an e-mail) from the TSA that says taking empty tanks is fine. DOT regulations say the same thing (in fact they actually allow about 40psi in the tank).

I say we March on Washington!

Seriously, I wonder if there is a grievance/input process.
05-26-2004, 10:39 AM,
I just sent an E-mail to the TSA. I will post when I get a response.
05-26-2004, 02:38 PM,
Right from the TSA website (do a search for Scuba....)

Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
05-26-2004, 03:27 PM,
Omicron, Yep, that is the same Link I found yesterday. Like I said a few posts back. I wonder if they have always had this rule and not enforced it? Did the rule just change?

I got a response that acknowledged my E-mail. I will post after they give me a response.
05-26-2004, 06:50 PM,
The forbidden item is listed as "compressed gas cylinders". Perhaps the basis of the different interpretations is that an empty, open tank is not a "compressed" gas cylinder, but an "empty" gas cylinder.
Here's an added twist: I just asked the TSA inspector at the Philadelphia airport (I was on a business trip) about traveling with a small gas cylinder. He said it could not be cleared because even if the reg is removed and the inside is visible, there is no way to tell if something dangerous was within the walls of the tank, since x-ray can't see thru the walls!
My guess is this isn't going to be cleared up any time soon.
Question - why doesn't DAN or Rodale's or, oh my gosh! even PADI, act on behalf of rec scuba divers and address this formally with TSA? Could probably be easily resolved with just a few communications.
Dan L