Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for water in a sea of corn
07-02-2006, 12:43 PM,
Looking for water in a sea of corn
Hi,

I'm looking for some divesites in the southern minnesota area. My wife and I are relocating to the albert lea area, and all I've found is corn corn corn. Needless to say this is depressing as I've spent my entire life growing up near Lake Superior. Can anyone point out a few interesting dive sites, other then the local water towers I"ve been eyeing up? Thanks.
07-02-2006, 01:37 PM,
Re: Looking for water in a sea of corn
Hi, welcome to the board
..checking into a map of the local area, you might consider swimming pools too.. but most of the water towers will have more depth...  good luck,  You'll not be too far from Rochester and MDC Sports dive center, maybe they can help.  There has to be water somewhere near that's diveable, otherwise you might be looking at living in an area like I do.. and right now there's not even water in the ditches.
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-02-2006, 03:17 PM,
Re: Looking for water in a sea of corn
Look a little to the south too! Lake Okoboji in Iowa is a destination!
As is the Mason City "pit".  Near Decorah, Iowa is Blue Pit which is also a trophy trout lake, you may want to check with Iowa DNR about diving there first! 
But seriously, Albert Lea sits right on a lake!  I've ice fished on Freeborn Lake, Minnesota Lake is just northwest on hwy 22.  Travel farther west to Fairmont and find a little gem called RLT Divers and the chain of lakes Hall, Bud and Sisseton as well as East Chain.  Go north to Faribault there's Canon, Shields, French Lakes.  Head towards Mankato on 60 and you will encounter the Sakatah Lake State Park, Lake Francis and Lake Elysian....Trophy walleye at Madison Lake! 
Go to Fishing Tackle shops and ask about local lakes or pick up a copy of "Sportsman's Connection" fishing map guide.  These booklets provide maps with dept and contour info, secchi disc clarity and other data! 
Best wishes and good luck!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!