Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive for Keys Nearly Kills Mo. Man. Idiot!!!
06-03-2004, 08:09 AM,
Dive for Keys Nearly Kills Mo. Man. Idiot!!!
From the AP Strange News site.

Dive for Keys Nearly Kills Mo. Man

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A man who nearly drowned when using a garden hose to breathe while he tried to retrieve his keys from a lake will make other attempt — this time with a trained diver — on Thursday.

Michael Hatfield, 54, of Lee's Summit, lost his car keys in Longview Lake on Memorial Day. The Missouri State Water Patrol said he used a garden hose to snorkel 30-feet below the surface, with a 20-pound boat anchor tied to his waist to help him reach the bottom.

The entire incident was caught on home video.

Hatfield went under water once and returned to the surface without the keys. The video shows him searching without goggles in the murky lake water. On a second attempt, the garden hose slipped from his mouth. Hatfield, unable to breath, became disoriented, the water patrol said.

A spotter holding a rope tied to Hatfield pulled him to safety after sensing trouble.

Hatfield was not breathing and was unresponsive for a short time after he surfaced, but eventually he began breathing on his own. The water patrol said he refused medical treatment.

"I'm shaking now, thinking about what could have been," Hatfield told KCTV-TV, adding that some of the keys could not be duplicated.

"Keys can really be replaced," he said. "At the time, I did not think about that. It was really an embarrassment."

06-03-2004, 08:17 AM,
Re:Dive for Keys Nearly Kills Mo. Man. Idiot!!!
The thing that gets me on this story is, they imply that his problem was that the hose came out of his mouth.
06-03-2004, 08:21 AM,
Introducing our 2004 Darwin Award Winner....
--Jason
06-03-2004, 08:22 AM,
Not much to say about this story.........Ummm yeah, he pretty much said it all........... ;D

Definitely a DOH! Moment!
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
06-03-2004, 08:24 AM,

To bad he didn't die so he could qualify for the Darwin Award 8)
06-03-2004, 09:42 AM,
maybe secondary drowning got him later?
06-03-2004, 05:22 PM,
Nice, and no mask either...LOL! :Smile
06-03-2004, 06:28 PM,
And I'm sure the rope tender and videographer were well trained, experienced, and along with the would be diver scored in the bottom 5% of the IQ test.

Or maybe this is an example of sport diving mixing with generations of in-breeding. :Smile ;D
Life without challenges, danger or excitement is a waste of oxygen!
06-03-2004, 10:22 PM,
I dont think this is what DIR had in mind when they implemented the use of a LONG hose into their equipment configuration. ;D Where do these people come from....Also, that must have been a hell of a garden hose. I cannot believe it didnt collapse at 2 ATA.
Oops Did I really say that?????
06-04-2004, 04:03 AM,
I think this is what they are calling extreme sports.