Remember me
Lost Password Register

weird diving anomaly
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM,
weird diving anomaly
I was diving up at the crosby mines this weekend and the thermoclines were all messed up. The 1st was at 15 feet in someplaces and deeper in other spots. I saw this type of mist the best way to describe it is like underwater fog at around 15 ft. Just wondering what this is and what causes it?
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
06-21-2004, 01:43 PM,
Re:weird diving anomaly
The hazy fog you see is related to the thermocline. You see it at Wazee often and I've seen it everytime I've been up at Ore Be Gone as well. Up at Ore Be Gone the hazy layer has sometimes spanned up to five feet thick so it's like diving in a white out for a few seconds until you pass through it. It looks pretty cool. There's a pic somewhere on wiscuba.com that captured the hazy fog really well.
06-23-2004, 10:58 PM,
Re:weird diving anomaly
I believe the temperature change causes a slight density change between the two parts of water and the density of the fine silt is between the two parts of water so it 'floats'.
I saw it at Square Lake last week. It's pretty cool, isn't it?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"