Remember me
Lost Password Register

weights
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM,
Re:weights
[Body wt] x [mm of neoprene] x 2 x 1% = lead needed.

I like the formula I hav added it to my spreadsheet for diving formulas and it seems pretty close Smile
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
06-23-2004, 11:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2004, 11:22 PM by Chadwick.)
Here is the bits out of the PADI AOW book, 'Adventures in Diving' ... (page 213).
This is to determine a starting point.

3mm/1/16 in. one piece wet suit, shorties, jumpsuits: 5% bodyweight

salt/fresh water change:
187-217lbs: 7lb (add to above for salt, subtract for fresh)

Aluminum 80 cf tank: Add 5lbs.

9.5 + 7 + 5 = 21.5 lbs.

--------------------------------
FWIW: I am 200lbs and in a full 3mm wet suit with gloves, hood and booties with a 50cf tank, I wore 28lbs in salt water. Though I believe I was heavy.
In Cancun, I dove skin with an 80 cf tank with 12lbs and was weighted ok.
Hope that helps.
-Chad
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, &quot;Damn...that was fun!&quot;
06-24-2004, 07:03 AM,
Wow, that formula would put me about 12 lbs over even in a 5 mil. Does PADI sell their own brand of weights ???

I like the formula posted by Punky, except I would take out the X 2 (though that would probably be a weight a person could work down to, not one they could likely start at, unless you're really dense...Smile)
06-24-2004, 07:35 AM,
If you have a brand spankin' new wet suit, you will require more weight until all the extra air gets smushed out of it. Just something to keep in mind for down the road.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
06-24-2004, 09:10 AM,
I suppose PADI purposly makes sure you are overweighted as a starting point. Though they have a lot more info on their shart for different body weights and different thicknesses of wet suits and dry suits.
The formula posted by Punky puts me at 4lbs overweight.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, &quot;Damn...that was fun!&quot;
06-25-2004, 05:46 PM,
ghosch;
You're right that would be a formula for fresh water not salt water.
Using 2% for salt water going by Chadwick's post comes closer, but doesn't work for skin.
[body wt] x [mm neoprene] x 2 x 2% = lead needed for salt.
200 x 3 x 2 x 2% = 24 lbs