Remember me
Lost Password Register

Visibility at Crosby Pits???
06-12-2004, 06:51 PM,
Visibility at Crosby Pits???
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has been diving any of the pit mines around Crosby who could tell me how the visibility is these days. With all the rain we've had I'm wondering if it's affected the visibility on any of the lakes. So. . .who has been diving in that area, what lakes/pits, and how is the visibility? My husband and I are headed that way next week for a couple of days (our FIRST opportunity to dive locally this year!!! Can't wait!!!!!) so we're just curious.

Aly
06-19-2004, 08:29 AM,
Re:Visibility at Crosby Pits???
OK the viz may be all right but by gosh it's still pretty cold :o We just got back from three days of diving at the Pits. We managed to get to Huntington, Alstead, Portsmouth, Hopkins, Louise, and Mangan. The thermoclines were at about 15 feet with upper level temps from 64-68 and lower level temps in the mid 40's--BRRRRRRRRRR!

Portsmouth was fairly murky as it usually is, but managed to see one nice 15 lb. or so Pike. ;D

Huntington's visibility was down from what it was last year. Couldn't find the sunken boat at Gilligan's Plunge. Wonder where it is?? ??? Saw a neat trout near the mine shaft at the west end of the lake.

Visibility was fairly typical at Alstead, surprisingly enough, but we couldn't locate the stairs on the north shore opposite the island. Have found them before, but couldn't stay down in the cold water as long (especially my wife!). :Smile

At Louise the vis was stratefied as I've seen before. Above the thermocline it was like glass-simply unreal. Below the termocline it wasn't as murky as I've seen it previously. Saw a whole bunch of suckers just below the thermocline.

At Hopkins we dove the south side looking for some beaver cuttings which we couldn't locate but we did see some enormous large mouth bass in standing timber. The visibility was sharply reduced from what we've seen previously but the farther west we went the better the vis got. There was a heavy wind that day and it may have somewhat effected the vis.

At Mangan the visibility was pretty good. Found some beaver cuttings and took WAY too many photos of blue-gills. Wink All-in-all pretty good.

We'll be heading back up the last week in June, camping this time as this last time we stayed in Brainerd.

Art and Aly