Remember me
Lost Password Register

Something to talk about...
03-08-2002, 10:43 AM,
Something to talk about...
I know it's still dive related, but does anyone know more information about the whole PADI/Diverlink situation?
03-09-2002, 04:52 AM,
Re: Something to talk about...
The only thing I read on it was the thread on ScubaBoard.  I lost interest in it really fast. :Smile
03-09-2002, 06:05 AM,
Yep, me too... pretty much revolves around a 'can you swim' statement... pretty lame.
05-14-2002, 12:28 PM,
Quote:I know it's still dive related, but does anyone know more information about the whole PADI/Diverlink situation?
<br>Well, DiverLink did a comparison between the major certification agencies. Their conclusion was that PADI in a couple areas had lower requirements than other agencies. The YMCA program had the highest requirements for certification.<br> From what I understand the case does not revolve so much on the evaluation. One of their people was involved in a critique and seemed to "approve" it in principle. It is based as much on other derogatory statements toward PADI made on the site. There is an acronym for PADI that is somewhat common in the dive community that was displayed several times.<br><br>Diverlink is a bit of a different site they almost seem to approach diving with a religious fervor. I have wondered if there are significant differences between the agencies so I found the evaluation interesting. I think we agree that we want the agencies to put out good divers. I do think that PADI is picked on because it is the leader.<br>
Leon
05-15-2002, 05:45 PM,
I think that a problem is there seems to be 2 types of divers. Those that love to dive, and those that love to complain. Some boards seem to be geared to one type, while others are filled with negetive rants. It is kind of a shame that people need to be critical of which organazation showed you how to clear your mask, but it seems that some find that important. After reading alot of posts, I ran into a DIR diver. I thought he would be full of attitude, but instead he was very cool. He (and a few others) said that most of the people raising Cain about lack of training are usually people who aren't diving anyway. I think this is one thing about this board that makes it great; more info, less attitude. The only thing that can come of a group sharing info and ideas in a positive way is better diving. Better sites, better methods, more FUN. The only thing that will come from name calling, ridicule and nasty comments, is what Diverlink is now going through.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
05-15-2002, 06:03 PM,
Very nicely put, I'll second that one.
05-16-2002, 05:31 AM,
Yes Thrown, very nicely put, that is a really great attitude!<br><br>What's good for one diver isn't necessarily good for another, and no one way of doing things is the best. Diving is relaxing, enjoying life, those with a crappy attitude and only wish to put out a negative remarks are missing out on the whole idea of diving. Those who are big complainers should save their breath for diving.<br><br>Along with the challenges, diving offers such great rewards!