Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR SPG/Console?
07-06-2004, 11:59 AM,
Re:DIR SPG/Console?
Amber, is DIR recommending cave line for the primary reg bolt snap as well?
07-06-2004, 12:05 PM,

Jason,

To keep the line from slipping you need to use the correct knot - see David's post below.
07-06-2004, 12:06 PM,

Lonnie - yes you use cave line for everything with the correct knot.

07-06-2004, 12:24 PM,

Lonnie - yes you use cave line for everything with the correct knot.

[/quote]
Thanks for the info. I'll probably switch everything over. The o-rings and zip ties have held up for me so far but I can see the potential for them to break at somepoint. The caveline is probably a better long term solution. Only problem is that the knots have never held well enough for me in the past on other accessories that I've tied bolt snaps to. I always put superglue on the knots now and have yet to have them come loose.
07-06-2004, 01:13 PM,

Lonnie,

just melt down the knot a bit and it won't come loose.

D
07-07-2004, 09:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2004, 11:58 AM by beeger.)
Jason - is your question how to keep the knot from coming undone, or is it how to keep the knot from sliding up and down the hose? If the former, the trick is to melt the ends of the line down a bit and mash the ends flat so the ends won't pull through the knot, as DRE indicated below. If the later, that's why I don't like the specific knot on the website for things like the long hose (I'm also not crazy about it for the backup lights or SPG, although it does work better for these). There are other ways to tie the line here.

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
07-07-2004, 09:45 AM,
My question was related to keeping the knot from sliding up and down the hose. The ziptie seems like a simple solution for that. My ziptie+o-ring connections have lasted over 100dives since the last time I replaced them.
--Jason
07-07-2004, 11:04 AM,
I think the zip tie is probably the weakest link. If using a heavier o-ring like the ones I'm using anyway, the zip tie will most likely break before the o-ring will. Maybe I can replace the zip-tie with caveline and keep the thick o-ring to prevent slippage...kind of a best of both worlds. Smile
07-07-2004, 04:28 PM,

Why try to put the horse behing the cart and have it push?
07-07-2004, 04:50 PM,

Why try to put the horse behing the cart and have it push?
[/quote]
I just ended up switching everything over to caveline only. That way I won't be called a stroke...LOL! Wink