Remember me
Lost Password Register

Madeira Access
07-10-2004, 10:19 AM,
Madeira Access
Has anyone been up in the last couple of weeks to see the status of the new parking lot at the Madeira?

When we were up on June 20th the lot was closed, but looked close to being complete.

I'm going up on Wed, and am curious if it is done, and what procedures are needed to use the lot.

Jeff Leech
Jeff
07-10-2004, 12:00 PM,
Re:Madeira Access
Jeff, check out this thread. It'll give you all the info you need including some pictures of the new lot by DanL. Wink
08-19-2004, 06:56 AM,
MADEIRA ACCESS IS NOW OPEN TO DIVERS!!!
BRING YOUR DIVE CARD!

this is their info letter...

DIVER INFORMATION
GOLD ROCK POINT PARKING AREA
         SPLIT ROCK LIGHTHOUSE STATE PARK

•   The parking lot at Gold Rock Point has been completed and is available for use.

•   Parking in the Gold Rock lot is available to divers only and was developed to provide divers with a safe access point for transporting gear to the beach.

•   Vehicle permits are required to park in the diver lot. You may purchase a daily or annual park permit at any park office. If you arrive when the office is closed, you may purchase a vehicle permit using self registration. Envelopes are located outside the main park office. Annual permits cost $25.00 and daily permits cost $7.00.

•   Parking is not allowed on the approach to the gate, or on the Gitchi Gami trail and is not recommended on highway shoulders. This lot was developed specifically with diver safety in mind, so please make use of it.

•   We ask for diver cooperation in checking in at the park office if you are arriving when it is open. Plan to provide your diver’s certification card to verify that you are authorized to use the lot. A combination will be provided to you to access the lot. Office hours are typically 9am-9pm during the main season (i.e. through labor day) and gradually decrease to 9am-4pm. You may call the park office at 218-226-6377 to determine current hours of operation.

•   If you anticipate an arrival when the park office is closed, you may contact the park in advance to provide information and obtain the gate combination. This combination will change regularly.       

•   When using the lot, PLEASE LOCK THE GATE BEHIND YOU using the same link of chain. The padlock on the other chain provides access for emergency personnel, so please do not change the locking configuration.

•   Some divers have questioned why the lot must be locked. Please note the following information:

•   It is necessary to lock the gate because the popularity of the new Gitchi Gami bike trail will make it impossible to keep the parking lot from filling and being used as a departure point for bike trips, making the lot unavailable for its intended purpose as a diver access.

•   Intense use of this area has the potential of destroying that which makes it special, i.e. unique botanical resources. While we want to provide a safe access for divers, this area is not appropriate for developing trails or encouraging overuse that threatens the sensitive vegetation. Having divers check in also helps us to emphasize the sensitive nature of the site and to foster an attitude of responsible use and stewardship.

•   We have no way of predicting when divers will need the lot and how many will need to park. If we allow access to some non-divers, we cannot restrict it for others. Capacity of this lot is not sufficient and the area is not suitable for a general public parking area.

•   Emergency signage and interpretive information is posted at Gold Rock Point to enhance your experience.

•   Any questions concerning access to Gold Rock Point or any other issues concerning the State Park may directed to the park office at 218-226-6377 or by email to splitrock.lighthouse@dnr.state.mn.us
08-19-2004, 07:47 AM,
From what I've heard, the contractor who laid the asphalt laid sub-par grade asphalt, (meaning anything heavy on a hot day will create dents in the parking lot.) They are going to rip up the existing parking lot and try agian with better stuff.

Untill the parking lot is re-finished divers are allowed to park along the road. I'm sure the people who give you the key will tell you what to do as well.

-Matt
09-14-2004, 09:24 PM,
One more detail on the parking lot is that they have the concrete base in place for a restroom in the far left corner of the lot which is nice. Now if they'd just improve the trail a little. I think the lot probably cut a good third of the distance off of the trail. It's not too bad of a hike now. You can almost see up to the lot from the stairs.
09-15-2004, 08:44 AM,
I was out there one day when it was raining, and noticed a bit of a problem. All that impervious asphalt covered surface needed to drain somewhere, and much of it went right down the trail to the lake, creating a muddy mess. Far from ideal.
09-15-2004, 04:30 PM,
Kirk we saw a bit of that action this past weekend.
--Jason