Remember me
Lost Password Register

Superior, Maderia- Aug 24th
08-16-2002, 08:13 AM,
Re:Superior, Maderia- Aug 24th
<br><br>I don't recall this being on the 17th, I thought it was still on for the 24th... Please correct me if I'm wrong though.<br>[/quote]<br>You're correct it's still the 24th. I think Mark just mentioned he was going to be there the 17th as well?
08-16-2002, 12:05 PM,
Whoo hoo...only a week away on this one. What time is everyone planning to meet up there? ;D
08-16-2002, 02:04 PM,
Raymond, you are more than welcome to join in. All get togethers are open invitation. Just keep following the forum so that you can track the plans. We tend to nail down times and meeting places the week of the dive.<br><br>It may be late to be asking this question, but where are people staying? I'd like to camp but I have not made any plans.
--Jason
08-16-2002, 02:20 PM,
I'm staying at my Dad's place in Duluth but there are numerous places to camp along the North Shore. There are State Parks and several private owned campgrounds as well. If you choose a state park it's a good idea to make reservations ahead of time, especially Split Rock because that one doesn't have a lot of campsites available and they fill up fast.
08-19-2002, 07:55 AM,
Guys,<br>I have just returned from Two Harbors after diving the Ely, Hesper and Maderia. THe dive on the Ely and Hesper (Saturday) was beautiful. I prefer the Hesper as the visibilty was so much better, at least 20 feet compared to the Ely at 5-7 feet.<br>On Sunday I managed two dives on the Madeira. BOth were from a boat. The first dive I went to the dizzy depths of 121 feet and saw the lower part of the Ship and then worked my way up to the wheel house and the bow. Unfortunatly I started running out of air so I made my safety stop and then surfaced.<br><br>The 2nd dive was supposed to be a penetration dive, but my buddy had 2 free flows and the 2nd one took all of his air so we had to surface after 16 minutes :'(. <br>Whilst in the boat after the 2nd dive we noticed 3 dives coming off shore to the moorings. Two of the divers made it without any problems, but they left the third to fed for himself after he got into difficulty as was swept onto the shoreline. He was OK but to the left of the shore (where he was swept to) there was difficult terrain for him to combat, and being tired and with heavy equipment made it more and more difficult for him to get back to comfortable land.<br><br>The next obstacle to overcome was the temp of the water. At 121 feet it was 36 degrees ( BLOODY COLD) at the surface it was 42 degrees. Not much of a difference. I was in my new Semi-Dry which I thoroughly recommend. The down side was my hands and feet did turn blue with the cold (you should be OK Jean LOL) so please be warned. The next problem was the weather. Although it was a fairly warm, sunny but windy day, the conditions would have been perfect for Crosby etc, but on the 2nd dive the waves were 4-5 feet making life a little difficult again, although the waves did look spectacular looking up at them crash against the cliff from 15 feet below.<br><br>I will not be joining you this weekend. My advice is HAVE a Contingency plan just in case, make sure a cell phone works there (again, just in case). I will gladly dive Superior again, especially the Hesper and the Madeira, but only from a boat. These guys get paid to look after you, and they really do take care of you. <br>Saying all that. I wish you all the best of British (LOL) and would love to hear of your exploits and see the photo's.<br>If anyone has questions, please call or email me.<br>Thanks for reading.<br>Mark
A bad day of diving is still better than a good day at the office............
08-19-2002, 08:55 AM,
Mark,<br>Thanx for the report, sounds like this is an advanced advneture, better get on the StairMaster and work on my endurance.<br>Was there a marker buouy or guide line you used to drop to 120'?
&quotOh Honey, your'e gonna like this&quot
Ray &amp B
08-19-2002, 09:34 AM,
Jeez 36 degrees! :o Well, I've felt ok at 102 ft in 40 degree water earlier this year but this will definately test my tolerance for the cold. I'm affraid I'll be really itchin' to get a drysuit after this. :Smile
08-19-2002, 09:41 AM,
All...<br>I have not yet made sleeping arrangements, so at this time it looks like I'll be sleeping in my truck unless I find something when I get up there. I think I am going to head up Friday after work, going to be a long drive from Rochester that's for sure. Lets start getting this one organized... Meeting place and time at least. The rest we can probably figure out when we meet there. I'm confused, so lets get a fresh count on how many plan on being at this one ok?<br><br>I'll start...<br>I am planning on it. Wink
08-19-2002, 10:13 AM,
Count me and my drysuit in!
&quotOh Honey, your'e gonna like this&quot
Ray &amp B
08-19-2002, 10:17 AM,
There are two Bouy's to take you down to the wreck, they are approx 50-100 feet off shore (I am lousy at guesstamations) will take you to a photo of the Bouy's from the beach<br>and this is a picture of the beach itself<br>http://www.mnhs.org/places/nationalregister/shipwrecks/madeira/cmad6.html<br>The rocks in the distance are where the diver was swept to.<br><br>One last site for you is this helps.<br>Mark
A bad day of diving is still better than a good day at the office............