Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR - LiftBag
07-16-2004, 01:11 PM,
DIR - LiftBag
Hi All,

I didn't realize the SPG question would generate so many responses, but I learned a few things and it shows how much detail goes into DIR. So how about another topic:

Liftbags.

Is one advised for every dive?
What lift capacity (in lbs)?
What type of dump valve, drawstring etc?
What attachment hardware (boltsnaps or otherwise)?
Any color, material or configuration preferences?
Practice drills using liftbags (other than object retrieval)?

- Brad
07-16-2004, 01:14 PM,
Re:DIR - LiftBag
Extrapolating from the discussion on an SPG, MNSCUBA might require a new server for this one...
07-16-2004, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2004, 02:25 PM by jasondbaker.)

I use a Halcyon closed circuit marker bag and a finger spool - I keep the bag in my BP pocket and the spool clipped in the bellows pocket. Some people carry an extra bag with the spool already attached in the bellows as well - I consider my backup to be my buddy's bag.

Quote:Is one advised for every dive?

IMO, yes.

Quote:What lift capacity (in lbs)?
40# - 50#

Quote:What type of dump valve, drawstring etc?

same as BCD, drawstring with no ball

Quote:What attachment hardware (boltsnaps or otherwise)?

mine has a boltsnap so I can clip it off either inside the bellows pocket or to clip to the butt d-ring when stowed in the BP pocket

Quote:Any color, material or configuration preferences?

Find one with a highly visible color (orange or yellow) and SOLAR reflective tape

Quote:Practice drills using liftbags (other than object retrieval)?

almost every dive we shoot one bag per team - one person shoots the bag, the other holds depth; when shooting the bag you should maintain a horizontal position in the water and maintain you depth within inches.

07-19-2004, 03:26 PM,
Hi,

Thanks [David] for the equip/config suggestions.

Okay, I can think of a few uses for the lift bag but do you or any of the other group members have a list of the scenarios that would require a lift bag. Perhaps this list would help explain the recommendation to 'carry' on all dives?

- Brad
07-19-2004, 04:16 PM,
Brad, One reason Tec divers always carry a Lift bag is to have a backup accent line. If you were on a dive and had a problem and could not get back to your accent line you can shoot your lift bag and use it as a reference to the surface. In lakes and quarrys it not that big of an issue but when your in The Ocean you can have strong currents and dont want to free accent to the surface because you could be miles away from your boat. 2nd reason you could use it as a back up BC.
And you need more than a finger reel. You should have a reel with 2 times your max depth or enough reels to make 2 times your depth.
07-19-2004, 08:40 PM,

No you don't. Shooting a bag from depth doesn't make a lot of sense when you think it through.
07-20-2004, 04:00 PM,
Are you NUTS. You try diving in the open Ocean on a Wreck in 100 ft of water and you lose the Accent line and there is a ripping current your miles away if you dont shoot a bag and attach it to something.
07-20-2004, 05:06 PM,

No, I'm DIR and I know how to spell "ascent". First of all, I had a little bit deeper dive than 100ft in mind, but the same scenario applies: you usually shoot your bag at around your 70ft stop, but what you don't want to have happen is a CF at depth. Let's say you're doing a 300ft dive and you fuck up on the first attempt, now you've just lost another few minutes at 300ft. That's NUTS! You use a squared away dive operator who has chase boats at the ready and who knows where the currents are going. If the current is too strong I definitely would do a free ascent and not try to hang onto an anchor line. You blow your bag after the deeper gas switches are done, which demand the most attention duing the dive. This is all SOP.

D
07-20-2004, 05:16 PM,
You are an idiot you have no clue. Your just another bookworm idiot.
07-20-2004, 07:25 PM,
Aquaman, keep in mind that this thread is located in the DIR forum. The original poster BLT raised some questions regarding liftbags and DIR. DRE is a DIR diver and is expressing his views from a DIR perspective. From what I gather you are not a DIR diver and you are adding nothing to this discussion by turning this thread into a flame war. It would be better for you to start your own thread in a non-DIR forum on the board here and express your views on liftbags there.