Remember me
Lost Password Register

underwater disposables
05-13-2005, 07:13 AM,
underwater disposables
any thoughts on the underwater disposable cameras? I was looking at target and they have one rated for 50'. anyone know if one is better thae another?
I want to get some pictures in CA but can not affprd a cammera now.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-13-2005, 09:04 AM,
Re: underwater disposables
I would suggest the Ikelite housing for disposable cameras.   It is rated over 100' and takes reasonable photos.  I have owned several of their disposable and point and shoot housings over the years and have never been disappointed with their products.   You can get them at almost any dive shop ($$?) or used on e-bay for about $40.

Anything you get with a fixed lens and built in flash will come with lots of limitations but if you shoot only within those limitations (a few feet away within the focus area of the camera) I have seen some awesome prints.  My average was about 5 or 6 good ones out of a roll of 24 or so. 

Careful though......   taking pictures underwater can be highly addictive and it is an expensive addiction.  You will be very broke for a long time if you get hooked.  Just look at my bank statement and you will see what I am talking about!

Chris (aka: MNDiver)
05-13-2005, 09:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2005, 09:31 PM by freedivernd.)
that kodak that's rated to -50' isn't to bad.. it's all I've used except for one cheap 35disposable w/housing and flash.  up here you couldn't use the flash anyway because of the backscatter.  Here's what can be expected from clearer waters:

Cold and dark down there huh?
05-23-2005, 07:22 PM,
I bought one of these before my last dive... .. CSC-100.. I asked the guys at Fantasea about that 50 ft disposable and they told me about this... The enclosure alone is about $45.. With a camera it's $15 more... I had fun with it during that one dive. I took pics at depth and on the surface and they all came out very nice.....
05-23-2005, 07:31 PM,
I should have mentioned that the only restrictions for cameras are that they have to be top button activated and have no telescoping lense. I am currently looking for a digital camera to use with it so I can just download the pics to laptop at the surface.
05-26-2005, 01:44 AM,
I found a oly c5060 on ebay. 5.1 megapixel. Great camera. I bought an oly housing for 189. It is a nice combo.
CJ
05-26-2005, 10:42 AM,
I do like your camera and I may get somthing like that later but this trip is already on a shoe string budget
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !