Remember me
Lost Password Register

Chlorine
07-28-2004, 07:26 PM,
Chlorine
Just wondering if anyone has heard of any scuba classes which DON'T use a swimming pool. An old classmate of mine has developed an allergy to chlorine, and really would like to get certified, but as far as I know, most classes are held in chlorinated pools. I suggested checking some dive shops in Florida next time he's down there.
07-28-2004, 08:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM by Aquaman.)
Re:Chlorine
A class can be taught in a controlled open water area like a shallow guarry or lake. Usually the instructor has to petition the area for use by there agency. Or someplaces have salt water pools
07-28-2004, 08:58 PM,
I believe the north suburbs-YMCA's don't put chlorine in their pools. I've told they use a different chemical to treat the toddler infested waters. It does leave your skin feeling different from time spent in a normal pool.(hopefully thats a good thing) I'm not 100% sure theres no chlorine but someone on here will probably know. You could also call the Y's on white bear or on Lexington to see what they use.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-29-2004, 08:41 AM,
Hi,

I could be wrong, but I think Adventure Sports (ASI) in Eden Prairie uses a different chemical (Bromine??). Just give Randy a call to verify (952-949-0909).

ASI is a PADI shop. I have used their pool numerous times to try out equipment, practice, get ready for trips etc.

If you can find a non-chlorinated pool, maybe your friend can jump in and do the swim test, just enough time to get something finished and see how he will react to the different chemical.
07-29-2004, 10:03 AM,
We do traing in a confined beach area now to avoid chlorine for people would like to accomadate you if you would like.
07-29-2004, 10:06 AM,
Sorry BLT, you are wrong, Adventure Sports IS NOT a PADI Shop. I don't believe they are affliated with any known training agency on record.

Check with PADI, or call them at 1-800-729-7234 if you think otherwise.
A neighbor of ours learned of this after they didn't recieve their books and materials to keep after the class and questioned why?

I would not trust ANYTHING Randy, or ASI, has to say in any manner after what we learned! :o

As far as clorine, check with local pool supply stores and they probably have a list of customers (ie. pools) that they supply various cleaners to, etc. They could probably tell you who has non-clorinated pools for commercial use.
07-29-2004, 01:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2004, 02:15 PM by scubadog76.)
I was wrong about the Y, they do use chlorine. I was told the Shoreview community center uses a chemical called "O-zone" mixed in with chlorine so it's not as potent.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson