Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ear problem
07-30-2004, 09:05 PM,
Ear problem
Ok, I've done some reading thru some old posts, and still don't understand what's going on in my ear. It feels like it has water in it, and I can't shake it out. It comes and goes...feeling full and muffled at times. Doesn't hurt, or anything. Been like that for a week now, after diving Crosby. Had probs clearing my ears that day for some reason. Is there water stuck in my inner or middle ear?

Half alcohol, half vinegar? How about warm water and hydrogen peroxide? I won't dive again until it's gone. I didn't realize infections were such a common problem. I'm assuming if I don't get that water out of there, it may manifest itself into an infection.
07-31-2004, 09:11 AM,
Re:Ear problem
Hey I know what you're going through - I've been a masters swimmer for years, & occasionally get the same problem from both the pool & doing repetitive dives. My solution? With the onset, go to Target & get the "swimmer's ear" stuff. I forgot the exact name of the product, but main ingredient is alchohol. After it clears up, try the ear wax removal product, as this is what probably started the problem to begin with. Keeping the earwax build-up down is the clue Tongue. Check out the DAN website for more info on this subject.
07-31-2004, 02:15 PM,
I talked to the wife...(Dr.) She tells me you should treat it like an infection. You can try to douse it with Peroxide..pour it in the ear...let it fizzle....clean out with Q tip. If it doesnt resolve the problem within 24 hrs....go to the Dr. and get some antibiotics...

This is the exact reason why I decided to peroxide the ears after ANY water sessions..(pool or pond) I have not had a problem since

G/L

Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
07-31-2004, 03:20 PM,
As someone who suffered through my school years with swimmer's ear induced infections, I can also attest to how well a little prevention works. After every dive I use a swimmer's ear product to flush the ears. This helps to dry out any trapped water. Bacterial infections like warm, moist environments in order to grow. Drying out the ear with a swimmer's ear product or hydrogen pyroxide prevents bacterial growth. If you cannot clear your ears after using these remedies, you should probably seek medical attention. As a kid, an ear infection went to my middle ear and I am now hard of hearing for letting it progress too far. Good luck!
07-31-2004, 03:59 PM,
If it's water in the outer ear canal then go for the 'swimmer's ear' stuff to dry it out- I use it every time I go into the water whether it's swimming or diving.

If it's the inner ear, then it looks like a trip to the doctor for pseudophed and anti-biotics. Pseudophed it to open up the eustasian tubes and the anti-biotics are to kill the little buggers who are camping out in there. Wink

I have had many infections over the years, the worst one coming in the middle of my IDC- a double outer and a, single, left, innner ear infection. :'( I guess L.A. really does have some nasty a$$ water around it. Wink

The first few years I taught scuba diving I got an ear infection EVERY August. This went on until I got my first drysuit with an attached dry-hood. They seemed to go away for quite while after that. Once I started getting into this freediving thing more seriously they started coming back. I assume that this is because I always dive wet and spend a lot more time in the pool- swimming laps and playing hockey. I also spend more time actually in the water than I did when I just scuba dove- up to 8 hours a day instead of the 3-4 on a typical dive day. As a result, I now keep a stock-pile of Aura-dry on hand. 8)

Good luck!

Jon

"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
07-31-2004, 04:43 PM,
I had the same trouble this spring after diving Little Long Lake, had that stuffy feeling in the left ear. I used hydrogen pyroxide over two days and took care of the problem.

I also use Nazelnex (spelling) for hay fever and if I use that before diving that also helps with ear clearing

;D
07-31-2004, 05:43 PM,
Here is a great reference from DAN:

08-01-2004, 01:12 PM,
Like the others, I had an ear infection that lasted for months,and I was prescribed drops to use before the dive. I can't read the label anymore to tell you what it's called (I won't leave the next bottle in the scuba tub) but I think it says metasol HC or something close to that. It's a vineger and oil type drop that you put in pre-dive and the oil reduces the amount of water that can stick in the ear and the vineger kills bacteria. It worked great but you end up smelling like salad dressing for a while. I had to try 3 different meds to get rid of the swimmers ears and the one that finally worked was called Floxin otic. good luck.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
08-01-2004, 06:42 PM,
Well, I've tried a number of things. I bought some Auri-dry. Didn't do anything. Used some earwax drops twice. Still no change. This morning I bought one of those bulbs you use on babies and some hydro peroxide with warm water...no change. It must be in the inner ear. Doesn't hurt yet, but will make appt with my doc tomorrow. It's pretty annoying. It's strange...the plugged up feeling comes and goes.
08-02-2004, 06:16 AM,
:-\
OK, so now comes the time when you follow the second piece of advice given to you by most of those responding. Go to the doctor. You'll probably end up with two prescriptions. One will be an oral antibiotic (name will probably end in IN). The other will most likely be an otic solution to place in your ear like cortisporin. When you use it be sure to leave it in your ear for at least FIVE minutes.

Using the alcohol based drying agents after a dive is a great preventative. But I've found that if a few days after diving my ears are not clear, there is just no sense in waiting, because pretty soon I'll get the unpleasant symptoms of a full blown infection.
Best of luck,
Art and Aly