Remember me
Lost Password Register

computers
07-31-2004, 07:49 PM,
computers
now that I have most of my equipment, I still need a computer or gauges. I do not want to spend a large amount of cash for one, I am looking for feedback on ones that other divers use and like.

thanks
07-31-2004, 08:04 PM,
Re:computers
It all depends on what you want to do with your computer. Do you want it to do nitrox? I think that is a good feature to have. You might also want to download your dives on your computer. You really need to think about the features that you want and I can be of more help.
07-31-2004, 08:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2004, 02:26 PM by igotoofar.)
willadams is right on. Not only should you decide what features you want right now, you should also consider what you want it to do later.

I would definatly get one that does nitrox, also you can get one that you can upgrade.

I have the VR3, it can do Nitrox and Trimix, Open circuit, SCR and CCR. What it doesn't do is monitor the pressure of the gas you have in your tanks.
08-02-2004, 02:24 PM,
You lost me on that one man. ???
08-02-2004, 02:27 PM,
LOL, I didn't notice the spelling error. I fixed it. Should have been "the gas"
08-02-2004, 03:54 PM,
By your comment "I do not want to spend a lot of cash for one" that pretty much cuts out the VR3 Smile

For recreational diving, I had good luck with the Suunto Cobra and a Suunto Vyper (non-air-integrated Cobra). Both are nitrox.

There are plenty of good choices out there, and I recommend the "think of what you will be doing" sentiment. Nothing is more frustrating that having to buy a piece of equipment in six months because you "out grew" one.

You might do a search, I think there was a long series of posts some time ago about dive computers.
08-02-2004, 04:41 PM,
Try doing some research at Rodales on-line magazine. They had tested some computers about a year ago. I believe they all rated fairly equal to each other.

Dan
08-02-2004, 04:53 PM,
I've got a Vyper and it suits me pretty well. I only do Rec diving now but you can still dive tech with tables and not have to worry about bending the computer since it has a "gauge" mode.
08-02-2004, 06:13 PM,
You could easily dive with something like a uwatec bottom timer. I only use the computer as a glorified bottom timer when diving locally. I rarely approach NDL due to lake depth constraints, dive duration due to cold, long surface intervals, etc.

A computer starts to make sense on those dive trips where you are cranking out 4-5 dives a day with a hangover from the night before. Wink

--Jason
08-03-2004, 03:08 PM,
I have a mosquito, it does nitrox / air it is small like a watch so when I am traveling I just leave it on. It is a good computer althou it is used more as a logbook then a computer.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !