Remember me
Lost Password Register

Crosby Report
05-29-2006, 08:37 PM,
Re: Crosby Report
Scott,
Glad to hear you had a great time and everything went well.  We drove throught the campground and thought it was pretty nice...but look out for the woodticks!  I too saw Northern and carp in Louise pit, nice vis, cool water!  Keep up the diving!  We'll see you again soon!
Lisa
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-29-2006, 08:46 PM,
Scott, what shop were you training through??
05-29-2006, 08:47 PM,
DiverQueen,

The campground is ok, wish the State would get the shower house up and running though.  Thankfully I only saw two woodticks, one on the ground...and the other was walking up my arm.  But that was it, no others.

I need to find pictures of the types of fish (I don't fish)....I know what a northern and trout look like, but that's about it.  LOL
05-29-2006, 08:48 PM,

Mick's Scuba out of Moorhead.
05-29-2006, 09:28 PM,
Oh Yeah, I remember seeing their "Mobile Dive Shop" truck coming out of the campground!  And I thought Chuck had EVERYTHING with him!
05-30-2006, 06:42 AM,
Sorry I missed everyone too!  Was hoping to get over there either Sunday or Monday, but ran into a plumbing job from H@## that took WAY too much time.  (one of those where you have a leak that you have to unhook something else to get access, and when you reassemble that thing you took apart leaks, and you notice another leak you missed the first time, and things get worse before they get better...)

and then Mother Nature (being the fickle beeyotch that she is) has to cloud up and brew up a nice storm for the middle of Monday to eliminate the only possible window of opportunity for me!  Oh well, another weekend where I waste my time lugging the gear out to the truck for no reason!!! 

At least I got in to work fairly early so if I get the urge to head for Square Lake this evening I can!

Glad everyone (else!) had a good time!

Jon
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
05-30-2006, 10:07 PM,
Re: Yawkey Report
We dove Yawkey today,  It is a smaller pit that gets down to 170ft.  Vis was not bad, up too 25ft in most areas.  The pit has the same dark layer as others at 90ft, so going beyond that is not the easiest. 
It had no fish to look at like the other pits do.  It has only trout I was told.
There is a nice sized beaver hut on the North end of the pit.  We saw a little snapping turtle near the end of the dive.

-Matt
05-30-2006, 10:37 PM,
Any guesses as to how old that turtle is?  By the size of the shell and the amount of algae growing on it I would have to say 15- 20 years...But that's just a guess.  If it were a sea turtle in the ocean, the cleaner wrasses would be doing their thing and it would be free of some of that growth!
05-31-2006, 10:25 PM,
Stopped in the local dive shop today, on my way to a fun dive, and mentioned about a fish I saw in Mahnomen 2.  Suggestion was an eelpout, just did a google on it....and yup, that was the fish that Tim and I saw.  I didn't record the depth, but it had to have been around 30-40 feet.  Had its head tucked up under a rock ledge, when we got close to it (around 6 feet)....it slid out a little bit but never did swim away.  It just sat there looking like a "J" with it's tail curled to its left.  It never did move as we saw it in the same location when we came back toward our entry point.  It had to have been at least 2+' long.
06-04-2006, 07:52 PM,
We had a good time at Crosby this weekend.  We dove Hopkins, Louise and Mangan.  Viz was fair at Hopkins (15+ft), good at Mangan (20+ft) and real good at Louise (25+ft).  Jason and I ended up camping at the clover leaf access at Mangan.  We heard at MSD that the DNR is shutting down all camping at the pits after this weekend. Sad If you want to camp you have to camp at the Portsmouth campground now.  Here are a few shots from today at Louise.

Attached Files
.jpg   sparky.JPG (Size: 76.64 KB / Downloads: 143)
.jpg   sailboat.JPG (Size: 65.22 KB / Downloads: 139)
.jpg_thumb   sparky.JPG_thumb (Size: 34.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   sailboat.JPG_thumb (Size: 31.3 KB / Downloads: 0)