Remember me
Lost Password Register

Identify this fish??
08-07-2004, 09:25 AM,
Identify this fish??
???
We saw this fish on the bottom at Hopkins up in Crosby this week. It was taking shelter under a piece of wood I turned over while looking for crayfish. It was about four inches long. We have been unable to identify it in our, very limited, books on fish. Anyone know what it is??

Attached Files
.jpg   Cropped_and_sized.JPG (Size: 22.12 KB / Downloads: 46)
.jpg_thumb   Cropped_and_sized.JPG_thumb (Size: 38.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-07-2004, 09:26 AM,
Re:Identify this fish??
Here is a different view of the same fish.

Attached Files
.jpg   Cropped_and_sized_2.JPG (Size: 20.3 KB / Downloads: 44)
.jpg_thumb   Cropped_and_sized_2.JPG_thumb (Size: 39.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-07-2004, 09:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2004, 09:58 AM by freedivernd.)
I'd say it is a goby or sculpin, not a good fish to have around as they are very tough on the other species and reproduce very rapidly... shoulda stuck it with a spear Wink or like this site says... kill it, freeze it, and call the Minnesota DNR
Here's a better pic..
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-07-2004, 10:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2004, 10:24 AM by unirdna.)
That's a mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi). They are found mostly in trout streams, but can handle almost any water that is 72 deg or colder. I've kept them in aquariums that eventually hit 78 deg, but they were acclimated to this temp over several weeks. They are indigenous and pose no threat to native fishes, but yes, given the right water conditions (and few predators), they will multiply like rabbits. Or, actually, one should say that rabbits multiply like sculpin. In the great lakes, the burbot feast on them.

08-07-2004, 11:17 AM,
Hey Ted, I think you're right..... but my answer was waaaaay more exciting ;D
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-07-2004, 02:28 PM,
Thanks SO MUCH for identifying that fish! ;D
As soon as we did a google search for "SCULPIN" we found all sorts of information and pictures.