Remember me
Lost Password Register

Open Water movie
08-13-2004, 09:52 AM,
Open Water movie
I hadn't heard of this movie yet, apparently it's opened in limited release right now and doesn't appear to be playing in the Twin Cities, but may be expanding throughout the month. A saw on a movie-related website that it's supposed to be going into wide release on 8/20.

08-13-2004, 03:56 PM,
Re:Open Water movie
It's at the Uptown. Have heard it's really good. No special effects - all done in the ocean and all sharks/scenes are real - no sets, no fakes, etc. The actors spent over 120hrs in the open water filming.
Dan L
08-20-2004, 10:36 PM,
I saw Open Water this week. It's a story about bad divers on a bad dive boat having a bad day. Yawn. The ending was an interesting twist I guess.

I know it has convinced at least two divers I know to never get back in the water again.
--Jason
08-23-2004, 02:58 PM,
A diver friend & I went to Uptown last Thus. to view the movie (with a pretty "open" mind). Overall, I'm glad I saw it - some obvious things pop into your mind as you're watching all the calamity unfurl - like, maybe research the dive operation (size of boat/# of divers), carry a whistle AND an inflatable sausage - stuff like that. But as the story progresses, it becomes obvious the screen writer took a LOT of creative liberties in the details. But the scary stuff is truly a diver's nightmare - the shark scenes really impact - from what I have read, the actors were NOT in protective cages (they wore chainmail under their neoprene though :o). The ending is surreal and will undoubtedly remain fixed in my brain for a while. I've done shark dives in the Bahamas, & have always had a healthy respect for them (like keep a distance & swim UNDER them), but this movie gives me a little different perspective on them. 'Just glad we don't have to worry about "jaws" in the local lake scene!
08-23-2004, 05:41 PM,
A month ago I did a dive in the bahamas where there were at least 20 sharks directly underneath me. Some of the sharks where coming to the surface a few yards from me. No worries.

The part that I really laugh about is that within hours of floating in the water the guy has a shark take a bite out of him. Come on.
--Jason
08-23-2004, 07:38 PM,
I know where you are coming from. I have dove with roughly 75 black tip reef and bull sharks, they were everywhere around me. I never really felt concerned...Now, i wouldnt really want to be on the surface, if there was no other food around, but i would have to imagine that with these types of sharks, it would take a bit longer than a couple of hours for them to start taking runs at you.
Oops Did I really say that?????