Remember me
Lost Password Register

Almost Certified Beginner
08-19-2004, 03:50 PM,
Almost Certified Beginner
Hello, I'm a beginner scuba diver. I've gone on a total of 3 "resort courses," and this fall I'm doing my PADI Classroom and Pool in the cities, and this winter I am vacationing to Cozumel to complete my certification course, and of course do some more dives. I do have pretty limited resources, but what would you recommend someone new to the underwater world? Even after my certification and extra dives in Cozumel I'll still not be ready for just going diving with my father on a random lake down here by where I live in Minnesota. But I know I won't be traveling to somewhere like Cozumel again untill sometime in the distant future. So what would you recommend for a diver with limited resources and skills for local diving? Do you know of any nice spots for beginners within driving distance? Thanks a lot
08-19-2004, 04:06 PM,
Re:Almost Certified Beginner
Where do you live? Your primary choices are Square Lake, Crosby or Wazee. All of these have area and platforms for beginners.
08-20-2004, 09:44 AM,
Presumably your father is a certified diver. You certainly you can go diving with your father after you are certified. Just keep the dive plans simple at first. Unless your father would push you beyond your limits. Of course if you want to dive in Minnesota you will need environmental protection (wet suit).
Leon
08-20-2004, 09:50 AM,
I live down in Mankato. And my father is at the same level as me, we both are just getting certified, after having done a few past resort courses.

Thanks a lot for your insight
08-20-2004, 12:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2004, 12:36 PM by jasondbaker.)
You can always rent the gear you need for local diving. I think the closest decent lake to you is Fish Lake. You can also find good diving down at Lake Okoboji.

The question you need to answer is what level of diving proficiency do you want to attain? Diving is like golfing. You don't necessarily need the best clubs or need to be on the best courses. But you do need to golf consistently to become good at it.
--Jason
08-20-2004, 03:32 PM,
Well even though I really do enjoy diving and it is something I would love to continue for the rest of my life. I am just 16 and I do'nt have the time or resources to get deeply into the sport in this stage of my life, and than in a few years I'll be going to college and money will even be tighter. But for now I'm just looking for maybe monthly dives during the summer and the occasional scuba trip. But would it be normal for beginners like my father and I do dive alone?? If we just stayed relatively shallow and easy dive plans??
08-20-2004, 03:43 PM,

You and your father can definitely team up for dives together once you are certified. I recommend joining up with people from a dive shop or from this forum for your first local dives. Local divers are very friendly and they can provide you with helpful information regarding local conditions, dive access locations, and things to check out.
--Jason