Remember me
Lost Password Register

Crosby
08-20-2004, 07:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2004, 07:36 PM by flyboy65.)
Crosby
I am tentatively planning on being in the Crosby area next Saturday 28th. I dove Louise a few weeks back, and am wondering about the other pits as well. Which pits have abundant fish in them? I'd really like to see some fish, as I only have a few dives under my belt.
08-21-2004, 05:20 AM,
Re:Crosby
Try Joan. I consistantly see more fish(both large and small) there than anywhere else. The front entry is often a mud hole so I enter from the back side of Joan.
08-21-2004, 06:01 AM,
I'm assuming you mean the north end, right?

Anyone been in Portsmouth or Pennington?
08-25-2004, 09:37 AM,
I KNOW there are people who've been up there. No suggestions? We'll just jump in one of them and see what's down there I guess! How about camping? Is there a fee? I saw campers by Louise last time I was there.
08-25-2004, 11:31 AM,
Two weeks ago we dove in the Hopkins pit. One dive (below the thermo) sucked because the viz was crappy. The other dive (30' or less) had decent viz and was a blast swimming through the trees. We saw a few sunnies and few nice bass. That dive was fun. There is no fee to camp at Louise.
08-25-2004, 11:31 AM,
Huntington is real nice. I was up there a couple weekends ago and the viz was excellent. Better than Wazee even. You could see the surface ripples from 50+ feet down. There was no crappy silt layer in the water column...clear from top to bottom. As far as fish go I saw mostly bass.
08-25-2004, 03:24 PM,
I have to agree with Lonnie. Huntington is becoming my favorite pit up there. I think we were the only divers in it a couple weeks ago. Louise probably had 50 divers in it at the time.
--Jason
08-26-2004, 09:56 AM,
I really like Huntington as well. Although I've only done two dives there, they were nice, long dives. We did hit the abysmal plane, though (about 140 ft.). There was absolutely nothing to see . . . plan on diving it this weekend. Does anyone know of a good entry point. If I remember correctly, the entry points I used where quite steep & sandy. Sad

Portsmouth is also a fun dive. My buddy and I have tried to find a concrete cylinder. Does anybody know of its location? ???

For those who don't feel comfortable camping at the pits, a Lk. Louise State Park is open and has good access to Portmouths.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-26-2004, 01:06 PM,
I've always liked Mangan. It's right next to louise, and is an easy and fun dive for beginners. You can stay shallow (less than 30 feet deep) and see beaver lodges, many pan fish, and even swim through numerous underwater trees. The access is like a small peninsula sticking out in the lake on the northern side. I usually enter there and swim to the right, keeping the shore on my right, and swimming at a depth of 15-20 feet. If you swim slow and stay shallow, you can easily reach the other side where the trees and beaver lodge are, and then make it back on the same tank of air.
08-26-2004, 02:13 PM,
Mark, we always use the "Gilligan's Plunge" access point. I think it's listed on one of the MSD maps. If not stop into MSD and ask someone for directions. You have to drive all the way around the pit to get to this access.