Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ear Equalizer
06-05-2002, 12:25 PM,
Ear Equalizer
From another board a question was asked that some here might find useful<br>From the April edition of Scuba Diving Magazine:<br><br>Ways to equalize the ears"<br>*Valsalva maneuver<br>Pinch nose and blow (gently) is known as the Valsalva maneuver. It is the one taught first. I have not heard that properly done it will rupture the eardrums. Don't blow too hard.<br><br>*The Toynbee Maneuver<br>Pinch nose, and swallow. Swallowing activates the muscles that can open the tubes.<br><br>*The Lowry Technique<br>Pinch nose, blow, and swallow<br><br>*The Edmonds Technique<br>Tense the soft palate muscles push the jaw forward and down and do the Valsalva maneuver.<br><br>*The Frenzel Maneuver<br>Pinch nostrils, and close the back of your throat as if straining to lift a weight. make the sound of the letter K<br><br>*Voluntary Tubal Opening<br>Tense muscles of the soft palate and the throat while moving the jaw as if starting to yawn. With practice the tubes can be held open continuously.<br><br><br>
Leon
06-05-2002, 02:43 PM,
Re: Ear Equalizer
Here's a couple of links that expand on that.. I use the frenzel technic for now.<br>The following is by Edmond Kay, MD and discusses all of the technics in your post plus some more on diving and equalizing: <br>http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html#Simple<br><br>The following is a good article by Eric Fattah on exactly how to do the frenzel technic: Johnson
Cold and dark down there huh?