Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Bouy's/Markers
06-04-2002, 07:00 PM,
Re: Dive Bouy's/Markers
Sorry to be asking a silly question, but is there a certain size that they have to be? Just wondering cause with all the different types I would hate to get the wrong one and get fined anyway.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
06-05-2002, 03:24 AM,
I believe the flag is supposed to be at least 16 inches square. I went out and measured my flag. It was 16 x 22. The float itself has no requirements. I would think that almost anything you buy commercially will meet the legal requirements. A size that lets you rest your fins and gloves on them while walking out into the water is nice.
Leon
06-05-2002, 03:47 AM,
Quote:<br><br>I think quite a few boaters don't have a clue what the dive flag means. Maybe the dive community should make up some fliers and hand them out at launch sites or boating stores. Is there a special posting on square lake about divers? If not there should be.<br><br>
<br><br>Just thought I would comment and mention that last weekend I noticed out at Little Long Lake there is a sign next to the boat launch informing boaters of the dive flags.<br><br>Mike
06-05-2002, 04:15 AM,
If I may say.. as Derrick said back at the end of July.. his dive instructor used a milk crate and inner tube.  That's the setup  I use and it works great.  The milk crates are a bit smaller nowadays and a size 14-15 innertube wraps right around it, fastened with a couple of bungee cords the crate doesn't move.  I carry a lot of weight in it, lots of rope, polar depth finder, lights, etc. and it makes an easy carry all for the gloves, socks, wetsuit, etc., plus it's a good place for a flag and it's still small enough to haul around fully inflated.  Also makes for good place to put those rusty beer can treasures.<br><br>Fred Johnson
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-05-2002, 05:11 AM,
Quote:If I may say.. as Derrick said back at the end of July.. his dive instructor used a milk crate and inner tube.  That's the setup  I use and it works great.  The milk crates are a bit smaller nowadays and a size 14-15 innertube wraps right around it, fastened with a couple of bungee cords the crate doesn't move.  I carry a lot of weight in it, lots of rope, polar depth finder, lights, etc. and it makes an easy carry all for the gloves, socks, wetsuit, etc., plus it's a good place for a flag and it's still small enough to haul around fully inflated.  Also makes for good place to put those rusty beer can treasures.<br><br>Fred Johnson
<br><br>Yes I like this idea and it is probably what I will when I need a replacement<br>
Leon
06-05-2002, 06:51 AM,
Considering the following I wonder about an item I saw for sale a while back. It was a divers flag mounted on shock corded sticks. Presumable when you get to around 10 ft down you pull this thing from your BC assemble the stick with the dive flag at the top and stick it above the surface and then swim up to it. :Smile<br><br>From Minnesota Boating Guide:<br><br>The diver's flag must measure at least 15 inches horizontally and 12 inches vertically. Both sides must have a red-colored background bisected diagonally by a three-inch wide white stripe. There is also a blue and white diver's flag authorized under the federal rules of the road.<br><br>No more than four divers shall dive under one flag.<br><br>Divers must remain within 50 feet (measured horizontally) of the warning flag.<br><br>If a group of divers is using a contained area. the perimeter of the area must be marked. The area must be outside the normal area of navigation. These markings must consist of the official diver's flag and must be placed around the perimeter of the diving area at intervals of not more than 150 ft.<br><br>Do not place a diver's flag where it will obstruct navigation.<br><br>The diver's flag may be displayed on a watercraft or float or be anchored to the bottom. The top of the flag must be at least 30 inches above the surface, however.<br><br>Boats not involved in the diving operation must remain 150 feet away from a flag.<br><br>Persons who dive at any time from sunset to sunrise must carry a diver's light visible when above the water for a distance of 150 feet.<br><br>Scuba or skin diving while in possession of a spear is unlawful from sunset to sunrise.
Leon