Remember me
Lost Password Register

Freeport, Bahamas
08-24-2004, 10:26 AM,
Freeport, Bahamas
Headed to Freeport in September, 2004, and have just enough time for one day of diving. Any suggestions for operators or is anyone else going to be down there at the same time?
08-24-2004, 11:08 AM,
Re:Freeport, Bahamas
I am heading off to B.C. on Sat. I would recommend diving the Theo's Wreck and Ann's Reef
08-24-2004, 10:06 PM,
I was just down in Freeport last month. I was on a boat from West Palm Beach though. Check out this site:

--Jason
09-22-2004, 01:48 PM,
I have a question for some of you drysuit divers, do take your drysuit when you go to tropical places like the Bahamas during the summer months? I went diving in Tampa in July (Before the hurricanes) and I dove in my drysuit. People on the boat were giving me a hard time about having a drysuit on, but I felt very comfortable with it on even though the water was about 86 degrees and the air was about 78. I just wore some shorts under the dry suit and I was very comfortable.
09-22-2004, 02:08 PM,
Hey, as long as you're comfortable that's all that matters. I think most people bring a 3 mil or shorty for water temps in the 80's though. I've never dove in water that warm myself. Shoot...I've never even done a salt water dive. :Smile
09-22-2004, 03:21 PM,
I would not want to deal with the hassle of a drysuit in the tropics. I like a 3mil full -- easy to get in, hang to dry, light to pack. I think I would give you a hard time too in 86deg water. Wink
--Jason
09-22-2004, 03:35 PM,
Above 80 I dive a 3mm with hood and below 80 I dive a 3/5 mm with a hood. You would be surprized at the difference it makes when using a hood (heat loss through the head is great)
09-22-2004, 03:51 PM,
I almost forgot, but DUI actually makes a drysuit for tropical water diving...LOL!

09-23-2004, 09:23 AM,
When I dove Freeport it was in April and I wore a full 7mm suit, with hood. Everyone eslse was wearing 3mm's and shorties and looked at me kind of strange, but when my dive times ended up being almost DOUBLE of what there's where it made up for the extra bulk and weight. 8)

After a summer of warm water you could get away with a full 3mm, but I would still wear a 3mm hooded vest underneath. Longer bottom times, and reduced gas consumption, are worth the extra rubber. ;D

I know of another local instructor who will wear a full 6mm jumpsuit and a 3mm "beanie" when diving in water as warm as 84 degrees. He likes to take photos, and doesn't swim around much as a result, so wears the extra rubber to stay warm on all of his, rather long, dives.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
09-23-2004, 12:30 PM,
FYI. Update to my original post. Due to the hurricanes, my trip has been rescheduled to 11/22 - 11/29. More diving days for me, so I plan on doing some specialty dives. I will try to provide a complete report when I return.