Remember me
Lost Password Register

HI everyone
09-04-2004, 12:59 AM,
HI everyone
I'm fairly new to scuba diving. I've had an interest in it and marine biology ever since I was 7 years old. Lately, i've been thinking about getting certified. Just a couple quick questions. How much does it cost to get certified? Are there any good spots within a 90 mile radius around the Detroit Lakes area? Thanks Smile
09-04-2004, 05:26 AM,
Re:HI everyone
Pink Barracuda Dive Shop is right in Detroit Lakes.
09-04-2004, 10:48 AM,
In the land of 10,000 lakes.. there's a ton or more than a ton of good spots for diving. especially this time of year.. the water is clearing up, although it is getting cold. The local dive shops can clue you in on all the great spots. Don't hesitate if you're thinking about getting certified this fall.. I think the local dive shops are only doing 1, maybe 2 sets of classes (I'd check on that).
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-05-2004, 01:53 AM,
Well, I won't be getting certified till this spring. I'm in college now and need to save some money first. I was thinking of going to either Mick's Scuba or Pink Barracuda.
09-05-2004, 07:47 AM,
Smile Yer in college huh.... Well why didn’t ya say so sooner.

[glow=red,2,300]Now is the PERFECT time to get your certification!![/glow] You can proverbially eliminate multiple avian life forms using only one geological artifact (kill two birds with one stone). Quite a number of colleges actually offer SCUBA diving certification classes as part of their curriculum in physical education. Even if your college does not offer it, many dive organizations offer a college credit for certification which could then be transferred.
Yup, get college credit and learn to dive at the same time ;D-
09-05-2004, 07:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2004, 07:11 PM by Appolion.)

I like that idea. Thanks for pointing it out Wink
09-07-2004, 08:26 AM,
Hi,
If you want to get certified and get credit, MSUM and NDSU both offer open water courses. Any of the 3 shops in the area, Pink Barracuda, Mick's and NW Divers offer college credit. If you have a little time, visit each shop, they all have great people working there that will help you out with any questions you have.
Wendy
09-08-2004, 08:25 PM,
I don't know about the college credit but there's also
Tri-State Diving
09-08-2004, 08:37 PM,
Minnesota School of Diving does it for college credit as well..
09-08-2004, 09:38 PM,
I go to MSUM. I'm going in early tomorrow to talk with them about it. I might stop by NW divers and Mick's Scuba as well. I probably won't get certified till late fall/early summer. Till then, I have decided to make myself a weight lifting plan and swim at the college on a regular basis. I want to be in the best shape possible. I hope it all works out. Smile