Remember me
Lost Password Register

keeping out of the mud
08-30-2004, 08:21 AM,
keeping out of the mud
Hello everyone,
this being my first year of diving, I am still learning, does anyone have tips for me to keep myself more horizontal in the water as I am going along. what happens is that I swim at an angle and when near the bottom I tend to kick the bottom.

I use a scuba pro glide plus BC and put 3 pounds in each trim pocket along with 8 in each weight pouch.

Thanks Wink
08-30-2004, 08:44 AM,
Re:keeping out of the mud
First I would try adjusting your weights. If you are over weighted, you will have to add more air to your bc, thus pulling your torso higher in the water and dropping your feet. Also, try adjusting your tank a little higher so that less weight is on your bottom half. Some folks put an ankle weight around the tank valve to make it a little heavier on the front half, thus bringing your feet a little higher. Just keep moving things around a little until it all feels good and you are more horizontal in the water.
08-30-2004, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2004, 02:26 PM by jasondbaker.)
Arch your back. And when you think you are arching your back enough, arch it a little more. It will feel a little uncomfortable at first but you will get used to it after a while.

Don't flutter kick. Use a frog kick. Keep your knees bent.

Adjust your tank slightly. Try a different tank size or type -- i.e., steel vs. alum.
--Jason
08-30-2004, 10:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2004, 02:26 PM by jasondbaker.)

Jason hit it right on the head...arch...!!!
My 2 cents is that I added some weight on my (double) tanks up near my shoulders...For me , that made a world of difference...Got my , er , derrier, up in the air, pulled down my shoulders and made frog-kicking so much easier!!!

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH