Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wazee Vs. Crosby (a very biased comparison)
09-07-2004, 02:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2004, 02:01 PM by LKunze.)
Re:Wazee Vs. Crosby (a very biased comparison)
I like both places. I like the convenient dive accesses, good roads, campground (could use improvement though, muddy as h*ll when it rains), etc. of Wazee. Also it's closer to town for airfills. As everyone else mentioned Crosby has a much better variety of dive sites but the roads totally suck and I only dive there if I can ride with someone else since I don't take my car on those roads. Unfortunately that limits my diving at Crosby. If Crosby improved the roads and cleaned up all the friggin' trash it would be worth paying a fee to dive there in my opinion on the other hand I think the Wazee fees are a bit too steep at $13.00 per day when you figure in the parking fee with the diver fee. At this point I don't dive Wazee enough per year to warrant buying a season pass which is $75.00.
09-07-2004, 04:51 PM,
We just knew this topic would start a lively discussion! ;D We drive an older full-sized GMC van and CRAWL on those things loosely referred to as roads and we're frequently pulling our 19' boat. THis past weekend when driving to Huntington, we were shocked to find that one of those 'roads' had actually been graded partway to Huntington (the grader operator had probably gotten lost and done it by mistake! :Smile). WE agree with Dan G. about the size of the potholes! Some of them are most certainly permanent landmarks! :o

WE also agree that the county is really missing the boat (pun intended) by not turning the Crosby area into a Wazee-like operation. Although the fees at Wazee are a bit steep, I don't mind paying to not have the wear-and-tear on my van and boat trailer, as well as not to have to look at all that garbage.

We have not yet dove the eastern end of the Iron-Range. WE've tended to concentrate on Crosby and the lakes around Park Rapids and north of Grand Rapids. We keep meaning to dive Ore-be-gone, Stubbler, Embarrass, but we just don't seem to get over there! :-[ WE need to, we want to, WE WILL!! Big Grin
We have to agree with Jean--we're so lucky to live in an area with incredible diving so close! ;D Now we just need to have more time for more diving! Tongue
09-08-2004, 10:04 PM,
Wazee is perfect for training and deep dives. It has not been good between 30-70 feet this year.

Crosby holds greater interest if you like to explore. The dive sites are more numerous and diverse.

If I could only dive at one or the other I would pick Crosby. You could dive there for a week and not hit every dive access.
--Jason
09-09-2004, 08:09 AM,
A person could also drive around up there for a week and not find all the dive accesses. Wink

I prefer Crosby over Wazee for variety, the adventure that takes place in getting back to some places and that there could accomodate well over 100 divers and not be too crowded-given they are all not in the same pit. If Wazee had 50 divers it would be somewhat crowded.

-Matt