Remember me
Lost Password Register

First time on Square
08-31-2004, 08:52 AM,
First time on Square
I may be taking my BIL to Square Lake this weekend. Anyone offer up tips since we have never been on this lake? Where to dive? Tank you for your help ;D
08-31-2004, 09:43 AM,
Re:First time on Square
My ignorance is showing again: what does 'BIL' mean?
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-31-2004, 10:24 AM,
I believe he means brother in law

I have only dove Square 3 times always from Golden acres camp ground.
I sure you will get good detailed info soon
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
08-31-2004, 10:47 AM,
Use the Golden Acres campground access. There's a $5.00 charge but the access is much better than the county park which charges a fee as well. What to expect? Lots of training platforms, lots of classes and bad viz. Still one of the better places to dive in the twin cities though even with the low viz. If you stay away from the platforms the viz is usually better.
08-31-2004, 01:52 PM,
I believe he means brother in law
Quote:

Duh! Thanks!

Yes, Golden Acres has the easiest access, lots of table top space for gear, handy toilet, etc. Probably your best bet.

I believe there are still lines connecting the platforms - so navigation is a lot easier in the murk!

Enjoy.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-31-2004, 02:50 PM,
Thank you for your help. How bad is "bad" vis? Dove in zero once before. Remind me of hiding in dark closet when I wa a kid. Your doing something but not much fun..
08-31-2004, 03:20 PM,

Er , it's definately not ZERO , for sure!!! I was out there Monday evening and it was marginal but I think there was a class "swimming" around in the area earlier. That can make a "BIG" difference!!!
If you want , I can pop out and dive with you...I can show you the way over to the county park side too.

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
08-31-2004, 03:43 PM,
Ditto on Golden Acres for cost, logistics etc. We did one dive last Saturday. We went down about 500yds and back along the west side of the lake staying in 10'-30' of water. Once we cleared the platforms the viz was around 10'-15' vertical and maybe 10' or better horizontal. I showed temps around 68F. I enjoy that dive, especially if the sun is out bright since it reflects off the weeds and lightens everything up a bit. We saw mucho sun fish, several bass and a bunch of northerns. I managed to grab a northern by the tail (which lasted about 1/10 second)! So are they sleeping or playing dumb when they lay there like that? Square is a nice place for a quick cheap local dive.
09-01-2004, 07:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2004, 07:11 PM by freedivernd.)
Quote:(...in regards to northerns.... \"So are they sleeping or playing dumb when they lay there like that?\"
I think the northerns are like jack rabbits.. .they think you won't see them if they don't move. 'course, it is kinda tough to grab the tail of a jack rabbit.
Cold and dark down there huh?