Remember me
Lost Password Register

Who disagrees with DIR and why?
09-13-2004, 02:57 PM,
Re:Who disagrees with DIR and why?
Dirk, interesting comments. You are right about many of the DIR leaders not winning PR awards. Smile

But in that same light I'll make the comment that people who do not like DIR seem to make longer posts than DIR proponents. Wink

If you are like me you have seen all kinds of scary divers all over the world. I'm not sure it is a testiment to how safe diving is or how hard it is to drown yourself. Maybe both. I am hesitant to dismiss the positive attributes of DIR based on the general diving abilities displayed worldwide.

You have to admit begrudgingly that DIR has moved the industry. Gear manufacturers have taken notice.

I am not DIR. But I have adopted some of the practices and configurations. Why? Because they are so thoroughly documented and discussed. It's the best free dive education in the world.

--Jason
09-13-2004, 03:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2004, 03:13 PM by jasondbaker.)

My point was that this isn't a DIR-thing. It's a tech thing. DIR just said "hey if this works great for tech it will work great for rec". I think they are correct.

I used the same process as you for years. I'm still alive. Wink I do think it is an okay process. Donating the primary on a long hose is just safer. Smile Some dive shops teach donating primary in OW. I was taught both ways.

I'm basing your comfort level on statements like:

Quote:By giving away your primary you are giving up control, however temporary that may be for, you are still giving them control of you.

and

Quote:You are not doing your buddy any favors by being starved for air yourself. In a class I took this spring, a buddy and I had to swap our entire gear sets underwater While sharing a reg. It gets pretty intense waiting for that air to come back while at the same time performing a task or 2 to stablize their situation.

Those statements say to me that your comfort level with switching regs is an impediment to adopting the process. Sometimes words on a page convey the wrong message.
--Jason
09-13-2004, 03:34 PM,
But in that same light I'll make the comment that people who do not like DIR seem to make longer posts than DIR proponents.

I agree with this!!!! but only because all they can say is.." you are wrong..you will die..you are a stroke"

We tend to have a little more to say Wink
Oops Did I really say that?????
09-13-2004, 03:43 PM,
Let me throw this question out there:
This thread seems to have centered around the long hose, weather or not to dive it, and how to give a buddy a reg in an OOA situation.....

I have seen nothing on redundant air sources and their use in diving.....

I dive a 7ft hose, necklace, H valve and a slung pony..for a recreational dive...why dont i just save myself all of the concerns with my buddy running out of air.....I'll just dive solo.....I have my own redundant air supply, i have my own backup reg(s) I have only to worry about myself and my dive..
I need not worry about anyone else and their problem...there would be no body swimming up to me to rip my reg out of my mouth..no body in a pannicked situation. I would not let myself get into a sticky situation..as this is what solo diving is all about..Preparation..and limiting oneself to a type of diving that if they have a problem, they are sure to be able to handle it.

Why not dive SOLO????
09-13-2004, 04:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2004, 04:09 PM by jasondbaker.)

Because posting this question in a DIR message board is like throwing a lit match in a fireworks factory. Wink

The only time I have done solo dives is out of convenience, not necessity. I would rather dive with a buddy because I usually get more out of the dive -- especially in the ocean. Although I have to admit I have done some amazing solo dives in the ocean.

I have a hard time buying the argument for solo diving due to safety reasons. While you no longer have to deal with your buddy's problems, no one has to deal with yours either. Wink
--Jason
09-13-2004, 04:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2004, 04:15 PM by LKunze.)

While I have done a few solo dives myself I generally don't consider doing them because I usually always have a good buddy to dive with when I want to go diving and it's funner to dive with a good buddy. None of the few solo dives I have done were deep dives and all were done in good viz, in open water with no entanglement hazaards present. The biggest problem I have with solo diving is that if you for some freak reason became unconcious during a dive you basically have zero chance of survival without a buddy. While the chance of survival may be slim even with a buddy I'll take that chance anyday.
09-13-2004, 05:06 PM,

GHosch,

Did you read the article on Hogarthian Gear Configuration? More importantly did you take note of the author? The information may be 7 years old, and granted people change with time, but I found the conclusion to be very much in line with my own thoughts on equipment. Smile

“The next decade of diving will undoubtedly be full of excitement and prodigious change. Undoubtedly, equipment advancements will continue and many exciting advancements are bound to grace the diving world. Yet, regardless of the level of change beyond the year 2000, two things will undoubtedly remain constant: there will always be new equipment for people to obsess over, and there will always be people arguing over how that equipment should be configured. Your response to these arguments should be based on your actual diving needs, and on the requirements of your diving environment.”

---Jarrod Jablonski
Don't believe the hype!
09-14-2004, 08:49 AM,

I've wanted to post this quote for awhile . . . you beat me to it! Wink
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-14-2004, 08:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2004, 11:02 AM by Mark Y.)

Because of the monsters . . .

Although I've received 'Solo Diver Certification', I've yet to dive solo (with the few exceptions when I've accidentally been seperated from my buddy). I avoid diving without a slung cylinder, I really like the piece-of-mind it brings me. Wait-a-minute . . . this has nothing to do with this thread . . . Wink
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-14-2004, 10:24 AM,
Sure it has to do with DIR..DIR is adamantly opposed to diving solo. There must be a good reason for this...lets hear about it...