Remember me
Lost Password Register

Henderson Gold Core Wetsuits
09-12-2004, 10:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2004, 10:37 AM by davsholm423.)
Henderson Gold Core Wetsuits
Has anyone had expierence with any of the new "Henderson Gold Core" or "Hyperstrech" wetsuits. I'm looking at buying a new wetsuit and I've seen a lot of hype about them on the internet. Are they as good as some people say?? Also does anyone know any dive shops which carry them??

Thanks a lot
09-12-2004, 07:31 PM,
Re:Henderson Gold Core Wetsuits
I used to have a Henderson 7 mil farmer john suit. It was a good wetsuit. It was easy to get on when dry and dried very fast if you turned it inside out. The slick gold lining works real well. I still use the Henderson Goldcore hood with my drysuit now.
09-12-2004, 09:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2004, 09:22 PM by scubadog76.)
Scuba Center has them. Scuba daddies also has henderson but I don't know if they are a stock item. I have a Henderson suit that has withstood many dives and my only gripe is that the stitching came out in some spots. They are well glued so it really didn't matter but it kinda sucks when you see it happening :Smile Other than that i'm happy with how it's held up.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
09-12-2004, 09:41 PM,
I owned one of the 7mil gold core suits 5 years ago. It was a nice suit -- easy to get in and out. The fit is more important than the material. You may find a cheaper suit that fits you better.
--Jason
09-13-2004, 08:03 AM,
I own a 5 mil henderson gold core. As previously mentioned it has been a good suit. Some of the stitching also fell out on mine, but the joints held together.

I've got about 50 dives on mine, and it no longer seems as slick and easy to don as it was when I bought it (though that could be related to other factors as well...)
09-13-2004, 08:19 AM,

I've seen you in your wet suit, it's not the liner . it must be the extra bone mass and musle you've added Big Grin
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
09-13-2004, 08:32 AM,
I own a 3mm Gold Core. The suit seems really well made, and the lining is nice, but I wasn’t all that impressed with the warmth. The suit fits me well but it just didn’t seem as warm as my older O’Neill 3mm suit. As someone said below fit is everything … being off a little in the fit can make a big difference in warmth. Perhaps the Henderson just didn’t fit me as well as the O’Neill. I know Northland Divers in Maplewood carries Henderson.
&quot;Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.&quot; - Johann W. von Goethe
09-13-2004, 03:46 PM,
hey, I'd check out some of the freediving suits... they're great.
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-13-2004, 05:58 PM,
Hendedrson's "gold core" is nothing other than a sprayed on coating over opencell rubber. It's been used in freediving suits for a long time- although they called it 'bio-termic' lining first.

There are different types of spray linings- gold, silver, copper, black, and just plain open cell. The one thing to know about all of these is that they WILL wear off eventually. The best way to slide them on is with a spray bottle full of hair condtioner and water- about a 50/50 mix to start with. It will make the suit glide on pretty darn fast. ;D

I have suits with both gold and silver linings, but have since switched back to normal opencell rubber. It's cheaper, warmer, and easier to move in. It is a bit tricker to put on, but worth it in the long run.

I have also owned a Henderson "Gold core" suit, but it wasn't anywhere near as warm as my freediving suits. This is because it wasn't cut the same and the zippers allow too much water through. If you really want to dive in a wetsuit, then look into a real freediving suit. You can get a custom cut one from Elios for less than a stock suit from Henderson.

Fred and I both dive smoothskin outer suits, but I wouldn't recommend that for scuba. For normal scuba diving you want to get some kind of a nylon outer lining to take the abuse that the tank straps on the BC will dish out.

Here's the link to the best wetsuit company I have ever found:

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   jon_ted_ice-_jitka.jpg (Size: 58.14 KB / Downloads: 182)
.jpg_thumb   jon_ted_ice-_jitka.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.18 KB / Downloads: 0)
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin
09-13-2004, 06:55 PM,
Okay, thanks for the input. But what is the difference between a "freediving" suit and other suits? Are all wetsuits beside Drysuits considered "freediving" suits?? Also I heard that the gold core once on, really sticks and seals to your skin, making it very warm. But are you saying just normal opencell suits are better??

Thanks a lot