Remember me
Lost Password Register

Expedition Trimix
09-13-2004, 05:32 PM,
Expedition Trimix
IANTD has launced an Expedition Trimix Diver course designed to give divers the tools they need to accomplish dives deeper than 300ft on Trimix or Heliox, for long bottom times, in remote locations.

More information should be available by DEMA.
Don't believe the hype!
09-13-2004, 09:32 PM,
Re:Expedition Trimix
Hey Chuck,

Do you know if they are going to be offering this as a rebreather course also?
Just curious.

09-13-2004, 09:57 PM,
Rebreathers are actually the preferred equipment for this course. Smile While dives deeper than 300ft can and have been done on open circuit before, it is seen as somewhat impractical.

Gas efficiency (especially with Helium) “in the field”, minimizing the “foot print” (gear requirements) of the expedition, and maximizing decompression are some of the reasons for this bias.
Don't believe the hype!
09-14-2004, 08:29 AM,
Very, very interesting. 'Expedition Trimix' has occured to me . . . I did six Isle Royale dives (five where 200+ ft.) utilizing four 20 c.f. cylinders (2 trimix diluent, 2 02), two 13 c.f. argon, one 40 c.f. cylinder bottom mix bailout, and one 30 c.f. high 02% cylinder. Oh yeah, about 17 lbs. of scrubber.

The only problem was how to replace bailout if used.

I'd be very interested in taking an 'Expedition Trimix Diver Course', especially if you're the instructor & the class in held in the Caymans. Wink

BTW - where & when is DEMA this year (or next)?
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-14-2004, 10:34 AM,

If you want to go to Cayman, we may need to wait a few months. Unfortunately there is not much left of Georgetown after Ivan :'( Sunset House (my favorite dive operator) was hit particularly hard. Anyone who has met/dove with Reg and Erika knows they are good people, I wish them the best of luck as they put the pieces back together. One of the drawbacks of living in paradise I guess. :-\

DEMA is being held in Houston, Texas October 13-16 2004
Don't believe the hype!
09-15-2004, 09:10 AM,

Will you attend? I'd like to, but I'll be in Florida that weekend. ;D
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy