Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR Dive Shops in MN
09-27-2004, 01:21 PM,
DIR Dive Shops in MN
I'm going to be in the Twin Cities this week and wanted a few recommendations on DIR friendly Dive Shops.

Any Suggestions?
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM,
Re:DIR Dive Shops in MN

What do you mean by DIR friendly? Just curious.
09-27-2004, 01:34 PM,
Shops that carry gear, provide GUE classes, know what DIR is, etc.
09-27-2004, 01:39 PM,
None of the shops provide GUE classes but two shops have hosted GUE classes setup independently by individuals in the twin cites. Those two shops are Air Down There Scuba in Little Canada and Scuba Dive & Travel in Minneapolis. Both shops carry DIR approved gear. Air Down There carries the Halcyon line and Scuba Dive & Travel carries Dive Rite gear.
09-30-2004, 07:16 AM,
I thought that MDC sports in Rochester was getting into this as well but They have a pretty basic website and no info. Perhaps our administrator Chris can better answer that.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
09-30-2004, 08:30 AM,
Yes and no... it's mostly a Scubapro shop, but the owner I believe does dive DIR.
03-28-2005, 09:07 AM,
Re: DIR Dive Shops in MN
I'm not the owner but a good friend of the store (MDC SPorts) and they do offer numerous components of Halcyon equipment and some classes. They will have a DIR/F class this summer and some of us attend classes in other places.

Give Jim a call at 507-288-8802.
04-07-2005, 06:56 PM,
DIR Dive Shops in MN
We may be considered a DIR Friendly store. Most of us dive the DIR philiosophy. My wife and I have over 50 years of diving between the two of us, I have been teaching since 1980 and she has been teaching since 1985. We have seen enough in this sport to know what is good for us and what is not. We approached the DIR "thing" like a regular old school skeptic. We liked what we saw, heard, and how we feel in the water. That is why we promote it as a way to dive.

If you read JJ's book, it is difficult to argue the value of what they are teaching and practicing.

I was not able to take the DIR F course when we sponsored it the first time because of medical problems. We are sponsoring a DIR Fundamentals Course this year. The dates are July 8-10. We have the pool and classroom session on Friday the 8th at our store in Rochester. Saturday and Sunday classes will be held at Lake Wazee. We have Andrew G and Joe Talevera coming to teach the class. There is a  limited amount of space in this class.

We have a limited amount of rental gear (backplates/harness, wings, and twin tanks set ups). It is not required to dive twins ,but BP/wings are required for this class.

If you have questions feel free to call me at the store during business hours.

Jim Campos
MDC Sports
Rochester, MN
(507)288-8802