Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gales of November Information
11-08-2004, 02:02 PM,
Re:Gales of November Information
LRRPO2,

(1) The 'Gales of November' is organized and run by the Lake Superior Marine Museum Association - it is not a 'shipwreck society'. Its goal is to preserve the history of Lake Superior and Great Lakes marine history... and in association with the US Army Corp of Engineers, educating folks about the now and future of the Great Lakes.

(2) I did view the items auctioned and I don't think any of them came from any shipwrecks...

(3) Did you attend any of the presentations? Of 15 presentations, only 3 (to my knowledge) were directly related to shipwrecks.

(4) Because the 'Thomas Friant' is 300 ft. deep doesn't make it any less interesting from a wreck perspective (at least for me). There are lots of ships that interest the public even though they rest in very deep water, i.e., the 'Gunilda', 'Kamloops', etc. Anyway, I thought the presentation was excellent, from why they seach for wrecks, to how they search for wrecks, to how they document the wrecks, to the actual video footage. The icing on their presentation??? Just last week, they discovered another wreck...

(5) The presentations were independent of the exhibits. The exhibitors had to pay to be there, just like the folks going to the presentations.

It is obvious you didn't get what you expected, but I think what you expected is not what the event was about.

If you're interested in shipwreck preservation, make a visit to the Great Lake Shipwreck Preservation Society's website (they had a booth at the exhibition).
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
11-08-2004, 10:02 PM,
Re:Gales of November Information
LRRPO2
Sorry you were dissappointed the Gales it is something that I look forward to every year.
I think you have some major misconceptions about what you saw.
All the items in the auctions (Live and Silent) were donated by Great Lakes shipyards (like Fraisers Shipworks in Superior Wisc.) All the items were from ships that were being maintained,remodeled, or scraped. NOTHING came off any shipwrecks.