Remember me
Lost Password Register

Flying with Inspiration
10-08-2004, 04:03 PM,
Flying with Inspiration
Those of you have have taken your Inspiration on an airplane...what was the best way to pack it? What are the typical weight and size restrictions and how did it all go? What are your suggestions on how to do this with the least amount of hassle?

John J
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
10-08-2004, 05:03 PM,
Re:Flying with Inspiration
John,

When I have flown with the RB's I ship the units in the supplied case. I will wait until after the final security check and ask if I can ziptie (or duct tape) the box shut. I also leave some zipties (or duct tape) on the inside of the box with a note requesting that if further examination is done that it be returned to pre-exam condition. Wink

I also like to include a page describing the contents and their use accompanied by pictures of the unit "in action" this helps "defuse" the notion that all those hoses and wires are a bomb. (never say the word bomb at the airport) :-X

Depending on where you are going, and for how long, the bottles issue varies. If you can rent them there that would be ideal (a rare, but growing possibility) if you are going for an extended period to a remote location you may consider shipping the bottles and chemical ahead of time (sometimes this is cheaper with the new luggage weight limits :Smile)

If you have to fly with the cylinders drain them and remove the valves. Pick up some of the plastic tank inserts to prevent contamination and seal the valves in ziplock bags. Rules specify cylinders must be empty and the only way to easily prove they are empty is to remove the valve. :-\

TSA changed their rules making it acceptable to carry cylinders ONLY on your carry-on bags. In my experience no screener is going to let you on the plane carrying a heavy metal object. :o

I would suggest putting them in your checked bags, carrying a copy of TSA rules, and put them in your carry-on as a last resort.

My .02 but minor hassles aside I have had good luck traveling with RB's.

CN3

Don't believe the hype!
10-11-2004, 07:15 AM,
I've had good luck with a large suitcase. I guess the only advantage of the suitcase is that it has the wheels and a handle built in so it is a little easier to move around than the cases. I pack clothes and stuff around it, and typically just pay the overweight charge on domestic flights (I think domestic is 2 bags at 50lbs, international is 2 bags at 70lbs). Sometimes if I check in at curbside they don't charge extra.

I would not suggest putting the plastic inserts in the tanks, as I have had a cylinder removed from my bag becasue the screener thought the plastic plug made it look "pressurized." So now I just cover the top with a piece of tape.

I checked the most recent TSA list (), it no longer has SCUBA cylinders as a specifically banned item, it only bans "pressurized gas cylinders." The challenge is convincing the screeners that the cylinder is not pressurized (this can be a difficult even when the valve is off!).

When I travel with Sodasorb I include an MSDS sheet in every bag that has Sodasorb in it.
10-11-2004, 08:36 AM,

I agree with GHOSCH on the large suitcase. Having wheels on the case is a major advantage. Smaller airports don't always have available cartage for transportation and lugging the large Inspiration around a hot, humid airport, well, stinks.

Don't know what to say about the transport of cylinders - I've never had any real problems. As for the TSA, I think it's a crap-shoot. It will most likely depend on what inspector you get. Just talked to a guy who just returned from Bikini Atoll. His group had packed their Inspiration cylinders for carry-on, only to be told there was no way in heck they'd be allowed on as carry on. The cylinders were checked.

If you plan on shipping scubber ahead of time, make arrangments through whomever you're diving with to receive it. Ship it well enough ahead of your planned arrival so that you may be sure it has been received. I shipped a bunch to Truk Lagoon this past March and they still haven't received it. Must be held up in customs?!?!?!

Make sure the electronics/handsets are properly protected (and bring back up batteries).

I've always carried my computer, bottom timer, and regulator(s) as carry on . . .

Is your destination international or domestic? Wherever you are going, have fun!

'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
10-11-2004, 09:27 AM,
Be prepared to pay extra charges. The unit itself is overweight according to all carriers weight allowances and those who have not had to pay extra weight charges have simply slipped through by luck. If you are diving an Inspiration, you can afford the charges, just don’t be shocked nor argumentative if they arise. Just have a good attitude, show understanding because you are a scuba diver. You are bringing on more than the casual traveler and they are not always familiar with it. Some screeners simply need more education (just an unfamiliar non-divers think a normal SCUBA tank is filled with “oxygen”).

I would definitely recommend MSDS sheets to help you with travel with the scrubber material and leave a 2nd copy inside the luggage. On most of the many trips I’ve done, upon opening my checked luggage I have frequently found an extra inspection was completed a second time out of sight by TSA.

If you are going to ship it ahead of time, I would recommend packing it in a pelican case. The larger have wheels. Though extra weight is involved, the added protection from baggage handling and the potential that it may sit in an unfriendly environment is worth having.

Good luck, and if you find it necessary, simply purchase an Evolution as your travel CCR and keep the Inspiration for local diving.

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>
10-11-2004, 04:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2004, 04:41 PM by john j.)
Thanks for the tips everyone. I just picked up a nice relatively low cost plastic suitcase with wheels that fits the unit just right, and it's within the limit of what is considered a standard size checked bag. Cost was $99 and I think this is going to work great. It's farily light too so it won't add much weight.

I saw too from the TSA web site today that cylinders are allowed as long as there is nothing in or over the opening where the valve would go. It says that inspectors must be able to see into the cylinder and they will not expend the effort to remove anything like a plug, tape etc. If they have to remove something in order to see in the cylinder, they will reject the cylinder. That's the basic wording of their rule anyway.

I'm in good shape for travel now. Thanks for the tips.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
10-12-2004, 07:13 AM,
John,

Could you provide a link to the specific location on the TSA website where you saw that info?

I'd like to print it to have in the bags to show to the TSA inspectors who don't know their own regulations.

Thanks
10-12-2004, 10:44 AM,
10-12-2004, 11:51 AM,

Praise Neptune! ;D

Have fun, John, wherever you may dive!
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy