Remember me
Lost Password Register

November Night Dive at the Pits
11-13-2004, 12:10 PM,
November Night Dive at the Pits
OK, so I thought I'd already completed my last dive of the season :Smile.... I had the equipment put up for the season and everything. Oh well when you've got the bug you've got the bug. I just NEEEEDED to go up for one more dive. Went up to Crosby on Wednesday night. Dove Portsmouth Pit. We've dove in that lake in the daytime earlier this year and the water was fairly murky, compared to the other pit lakes in the area. We had however done a night dive up there year before with Minnesota School of Diving out of Brainerd and saw a number of good sized pike. Well went into the water at about 7:30 PM clear night with bright stars. The air temp was 23 with a brisk wind out of the NW, and the water was just plain cold :o :o. Did however have a great time and saw several nice pike. I was really glad to have the warm van on shore to climb into after getting out. The 7mm suit kept me moderately warm for the first half hour, the real pain came when it was time to get out of the water. WOW.
11-13-2004, 12:11 PM,
Re:November Night Dive at the Pits
Don't know why the photo did not come through the first time.

Attached Files
.jpg   pike_resized.jpg (Size: 39.7 KB / Downloads: 58)
.jpg_thumb   pike_resized.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.15 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-14-2004, 12:59 AM,
Night diving in November, thats crazy. I can't wait till this spring when I can finally go out and dive.
11-14-2004, 03:28 PM,

Well , if the weather holds (temps stay kind nice) we will be doing the same thing at Square on Wed night next week.
It maybe crazy , but it's water!!!

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
11-14-2004, 06:29 PM,
I just thought that the end of September would be the time most of the Scuba divers around here stopped diving for the year. Then I found out about people drilling holes in the ice to jump in.. :o lol
Anybody do that around here?
11-14-2004, 06:42 PM,
Absolutely!!

If you really want to see what kinda viz these lakes can offer, go under the ice. The algae blooms die and the particulate matter sinks to the bottom and makes the visability incredible. Many shops offer the ice diving course, check it out.

11-15-2004, 05:37 PM,
Yup count me among the crazy :o.....I'm already planning on getting a specialty rating for Ice diving this winter. Of course I will be diving dry for that :Smile. I haven’t dove under the ice since I was a teenager (lets just say that was quite a while ago). At that time it was almost unheard of. I went through a small store in Bemidji that was a satellite of Minnesota School of Diving out of Brainerd. What I remember most was how cool (pun intended) it looked with the incredible viz, while at the same time thinking holy S---!! This is really really really really really cold!!!! The amazing part is I'm really excited about learning to do it right/getting a specialty rating and doing it with a dry suit.