Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wreck diving in Superior
11-16-2004, 05:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2004, 05:06 PM by Appolion.)
Wreck diving in Superior
I know that there is bound to be a bunch of ships downed in Lake Superior. What is the average depth of these ships? When I finally get certified(March 2nd ;D), will I be able to go see them or do I need a special course?
Also, how deep is too deep for basic scuba diving gear because the human body can only withstand so much pressure. thanks Smile
11-16-2004, 05:36 PM,
Re:Wreck diving in Superior
Appolion, Your local dive shop can answer many of your questions, try and lastly there are many good books available about Lake Superior shipwrecks. The primary wreck sights in Lake Superior are Isle Royale, Apostle Ils., Keweenaw Pen., Munising, Whitefish Pt., and Thunder Bay ON. Some are more advanced that others. You can also dive the Maderia near Split Rock from shore. Getting certified is just the beginning. You will need to work up to the best(deeper) wrecks.
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM,

Appolion,

There are about half a dozen wrecks on the North Shore that are "shallow". Some have relatively easy shore access which makes this a good place to gain experience for (in my opinion) the better wrecks of Isle Royale. Big Grin

Much of the North Shore can be dove immediately after certification, but I would encourage you to pursue Drysuit and Wreck Diver training. There are several charter operations who service that area and it not only makes diving easier, their crew can usually provide you with insights to the history of the wrecks. Smile

After you feel comfortable with these dives check out Isle Royale. Depths for these wrecks range from a few feet from the surface to +200. It is a playground for divers of all levels of "expertise", but comfort in the 90-130 range will allow you to appreciate some of the more pristine sites. ;D You will need a charter, or friend with a decent size boat to do these dives.

I won't get too much into the gear question but buy equipment geared towards cold water diving. I'm sure others will fill in the blanks. 8)

CN3

PS The human body is mostly water which does not compress, so depth is limited not by physics but physiology. As long as you can equalize your air spaces you can go as deep as you want for as long as you want...it will just take a looooooooong time coming back up :o
Don't believe the hype!
11-17-2004, 12:55 PM,

Appolion,

There are about half a dozen wrecks on the North Shore that are "shallow". Some have relatively easy shore access which makes this a good place to gain experience for (in my opinion) the better wrecks of Isle Royale. Big Grin

Much of the North Shore can be dove immediately after certification, but I would encourage you to pursue Drysuit and Wreck Diver training. There are several charter operations who service that area and it not only makes diving easier, their crew can usually provide you with insights to the history of the wrecks. Smile

After you feel comfortable with these dives check out Isle Royale. Depths for these wrecks range from a few feet from the surface to +200. It is a playground for divers of all levels of "expertise", but comfort in the 90-130 range will allow you to appreciate some of the more pristine sites. ;D You will need a charter, or friend with a decent size boat to do these dives.

I won't get too much into the gear question but buy equipment geared towards cold water diving. I'm sure others will fill in the blanks. 8)

CN3

PS The human body is mostly water which does not compress, so depth is limited not by physics but physiology. As long as you can equalize your air spaces you can go as deep as you want for as long as you want...it will just take a looooooooong time coming back up :o

[/quote]
Hate to correct you but there are more than 1/2 dozen shallow wrecks on the North Shore Thunder Bay as over a dozen 60 feet and under, but then maybe you are counting only the ones that you have dove.
11-17-2004, 04:20 PM,
I think Chuck was referring to the "Minnesota" North Shore. Here's a list from Superior Trips website of some of these wrecks.