Remember me
Lost Password Register

Man missing after diving accident
11-24-2004, 02:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2004, 02:58 PM by jasondbaker.)
Re:Man missing after diving accident
I believe the strong current/entanglement risk is more dangerous than the vis. Low visibility isn't fun but it should not kill you unless you start to panic. You can always make a slow ascent to the surface in open water. In a wreck or cave it would definitely be a problem if you did not have the proper equipment and training.

Imagine flying along at a couple knots banging into stuff. That sounds like a good way to meet your maker.
--Jason
11-25-2004, 11:05 PM,
Re:Man missing after diving accident
First of all, this incident is tragic for this young man's family, friends and community, and our sympathy goes out to them. Having lost my father-in-Law while diving I can understand a little of what they're going through. Although it must be of little comfort, our family was glad that our dad went out doing something he really loved.

I should point out a slight correction to the Star-Trib article. They quoted Josh (our store manager) as saying that we use a boat when diving in the river. Josh did not say this, and we do not. We do however always! dive the river tethered with a tender on shore for each diver (as in ice diving), and only dive in areas familiar to us and that do not offer too much current or entanglement issues (you never know what might be down there though).

Eric, I think I would put your hazards in a slightly different order.
1) Current
2) Entanglement
3) Debris
4) Low-vis
5) Cold

Entanglement and debris are hazards that we brief on very heavily, but nearly all of our students tell us that they were not expecting to have so much trouble with the current. It is very easy to get worn out and disoriented in these currents. In addition unless you are really prepared for it the possibility of hitting your head on something because of the current is very real. Needless to say this kind of diving requires specific training and a complete understanding of what you can expect underwater, and of yourself. We do not offer this training until Master Diver (NAUI) and I believe it is the most challenging of the 12 required dives for the course.
03-07-2005, 11:41 PM,
Re: Man missing after diving accident
The missing diver was found yesterday:

--Jason
03-08-2005, 08:46 AM,
A touching article, thankfuly the family can get the closure the need.

Doug
AOW
03-08-2005, 01:46 PM,
I don't understand the 'mystery' about how a weighted diver can drift three miles down stream, however.  I would assume he was weighted to be neutrally bouyant which to me would be ideal for drifting down stream.  I'm not sure if it is because the writer doesn't know anything about diving or if there is more to the story that they haven't said, perhaps he was intentionally overweighted.