New to this board and wanted to share my scuba diving quest with all of you
01-19-2005, 04:33 PM,
My latest news article
Posted on Tue, Jan. 18, 2005

Donations assisting man with dream dive

Due to muscular dystrophy, he needs special ventilator to scuba dive

BY NANCY YANG

Pioneer Press

Matt Johnston, a Woodbury man who wants to go scuba diving despite his Duchenne muscular dystrophy, has been attracting donors from across the country since publicizing his dream.
Last month, he began accepting donations via his Web site to help pay for his diving quest. As of this week, he has collected nearly $1,500.
"It's been amazing," Johnston said.
Johnston is on a ventilator 24 hours a day and would need an underwater-capable one in order to dive. That type of ventilator hasn't been fully developed yet, and Johnston predicts he will need to raise at least $200,000 for preliminary engineering research and design.
One of Johnston's most recent donations comes from Ed and Liz Ginocchio of Mystic Island, N.J. The part-time residents of Bonaire Island in the southern Caribbean and owners of the Golden Reef Inn there said they will give Johnston and any medical or diving personnel with him one week's worth of free lodging, should he ever do a dive there. The Ginocchios are members of an online scuba-diving forum, of which Johnston is also a member.
"He deserves every chance possible," Liz Ginocchio said. "And if we can make someone else's dream come true, that's absolutely wonderful."
Johnston is still working on other ways to raise money. Last week he began selling merchandise at , an online marketplace.
He is selling custom-made T-shirts, sweatshirts, tank tops and polo shirts featuring his diving dream logo. A percentage of the sales will go toward the project, and Johnston said he also would like diving stores to sell the shirts. Those interested in purchasing the shirts should type "Matt Johnston" into the search area.
Johnston said he also anticipates selling baseball caps and other merchandise that can display his logo.
For more information about Johnston, visit or
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.<br />-Christopher Reeve-
01-26-2005, 04:32 PM,
Re: New to this board and wanted to share my scuba diving quest with all of you
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to send everyone the link to a part of my web site where you can download my flyers I designed. You can hand them out, post 'em in your dive shop, whatever you would like! The more publicity the better!
Take care everyone and safe diving as always.
-Matt- ;D
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.<br />-Christopher Reeve-
02-01-2005, 04:12 PM,
good luck matt, i hope your dream comes true...

i was thinking about how this could work, what about a Lexan Bubble with an attached ambilical as an air supply. seperate airtank backup. support divers could follow. i truley think this could work and probably should'nt cost much to manufacture.

something like this could open the underwater world to many people..

I retain all rights to this idea.
02-02-2005, 08:47 AM,
Hi rookie_j
Thanks for the nice message.  Thanks for the encouragement and for the idea also.  I will keep all this in mind!  To me it always helps to get more ideas for my project.  I will be diving, trust me!  Right now I am working on how to get in a pool, that will put me one step closer to diving.   
02-04-2005, 04:25 PM,
Hi friends, I have another update for you and hope it's okay to just post it here. Guess what? I am going to be filmed on Monday for a fundraiser for the MDA exclusively for Duchenne's MD. They plan to film people of all different ages with MD. I hope to "plug" my scuba diving dream at the same time! Just another update and will add more information as it come up.
Safe diving as always,
Matt
02-08-2005, 03:56 PM,
good for you Matt

i was reading the March 2005 issue of Scuba Diving, there was a short article about a man in new york, Roger Muller, who established stay-focused, a non-profit offering disabled youth the opportunity to lear to dive.

not sure if you've talked with him?

Good Luck

Jerry
02-09-2005, 09:35 AM,
Thanks Jerry, I will try to get ahold of him and see what he can do. My biggest hurdle right now is getting enough funds together for my project.  I have all the right people, just not enough money yet!  Thanks for the good luck, I will be diving and I will be sure to share that day with all of you!  Right now I am going to try and get back into a pool again.  My DUI friends are helping me with that.  Have a great day.  Safe diving from Matt. ;D