Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: What type of suit do you most often wear for local diving?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Wetsuit
41.67%
5 41.67%
Semi-Drysuit
41.67%
5 41.67%
Drysuit
16.67%
2 16.67%
Just a swimsuit...I like to freeze
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Exposure Suits
07-25-2002, 07:53 AM,
Exposure Suits
Just curious as to what everyone wears for exposure protection for local dives. I currently wear a wetsuit but I plan to get a drysuit in the future. Correction, I just got a drysuit, no more freezing in Superior!! ;D
07-25-2002, 09:02 AM,
Re:Exposure Suits
Hey GP,<br>I've been wearing 2 different thicknesses of apnea suits by Elios Sub. They were custom fitted.. both are closed cell outside and one is open cell inside, the other is superstretch lining inside. The thickest one is 5mm and is very warm and doesn't let hardly any (if any) water in, but I have to lube it with cream rinse/water mix to get into it. I've been in 46 deg. water for nearly an hour and been fine. Now, I noticed wearing it scubadiving that if I don't stay below the thermocline, I'm cooking and have stopped in the middle of dives to lower the hood. I wore the 3mm suit last 2 times diving and still had to dip below the thermocline pretty regularly to get comfortable. It lets a little (very little) water in because of the stitching around the cuffs and ankles of the superstretch lining. No lube is required though. Here's the best thing... the 5mm suit was $150 u.s. and the 3mm superstrectch was $225 u.s. AND that was custom built! Long pants, jacket, with integrated hoods on both and NO zippers.<br><br>I think I'd be real hesitant to go with a dry suit given the expense... even if I was going to be doing some ice diving I think I'd look into a 7mm Elios Sub first, probably first I'd try out the 5mm.<br>They are unlike any wetsuit I've worn... going into cold water there is no initial shock whatsoever and being of high quality neoprene the stretchability makes it like wearing a second skin.<br><br>My next one will most likely be a 1.5 mm with superstretch to complement the freediving during the summer and winter tropics.. the 3mm is just a bit warm.<br><br>(now there's a one page article on wetsuits!!) Big Grin Big Grin <br><br>Fred Johnson<br>
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-25-2002, 10:02 AM,
Mares Isotherm Millennium Semi-Dry! No complaints yet!
07-25-2002, 02:39 PM,
Dry. What the heck is a wetsuit.<br><br>JoelW
07-25-2002, 09:37 PM,
Wet. If i wanted to stay dry I'd stay home<br>
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !