Remember me
Lost Password Register

basic setup for my wife
12-11-2004, 10:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-11-2004, 10:22 AM by RV6Pilot.)
basic setup for my wife
I have convinced my wife to try diving with me and we will be going to Cozumel this coming March to complete her certification.

I would like to get her set up with the basics (fins, mask and snorkel). Since she is not sure how much diving she/we will do I would like to keep the cost to a resonable level. Which brands/models would you suggest for my wife?
12-11-2004, 10:28 AM,
Re:basic setup for my wife
Maybe this would be a good time to update your equip? Let your wife us it for her check out dives. If she does not want to dive that much you have new stuff for yourself. Or at least spares.
Al
12-12-2004, 11:45 PM,
I don't think the brand matters as much as the fit. Make sure the mask seals well. The fins should fit her feet. Some shops will let you test gear in the pool.

I have zeagle and seaquest masks. Look for a low volumn mask that is easy to clear.

My snorkel is a zeagle. I like a really simple snorkles. I only wear a snorkel when I am just snorkeling. The ones with little balls at the top are goofy.

My tropical fins are mares quattros. Replace the fins straps with spring straps.

You should be able to get a good package for under $200.
--Jason
12-27-2004, 02:44 PM,
If this is her first time and you want her to keep diving with you. I would recommend spending the cash on the perfect fitting mask, snorkel and fins. I've found nothing turns a new diver off to diving altogether then a leaking mask, breathing in salt water or blisters. Good luck.
Rick Richter ~~~
Silent Helm
Underwater Productions
01-02-2005, 01:43 AM,
Please let her get good fitting gear and spend time (till march) in local community center pools getting comfortable and used to the snorkle gear and techniques of clearing, so you can enjoy the diving experience and not waste time on these basics down there. Also if you two are proficient swimmers, you can enjoy time now with the local underwater hockey groups in town , they are always looking for enthusiastic swimmers (yes, beginners too!) google it and you will find ...
01-03-2005, 04:10 PM,
Do like I do, buy yourself top notch gear, then let her have the hand-me-downs Smile