Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mustache leaks
05-23-2002, 06:45 AM,
Mustache leaks
How many divers here have mustaches? What do you do to keep the leaking down. Trim below the nose? Silicone gel? What?<br>
Leon
05-23-2002, 06:54 AM,
Re: Mustache leaks
My big eyes mask doesen't seem to leek with my mustache. with other masks I just automaticly blow a little air out of my nose with every breath. it's not a leek it's a purge valve. lol Tongue
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-23-2002, 06:56 AM,
From what I've read, here are the options:<br><br>Trim under the nose.<br><br>Wear the mask as high as possible.<br><br>Buy a purge mask, and get used to purging.<br><br>Shave it off.<br><br>Get used to the leak.<br><br>Apparently some masks work better than others. TUSA apparently makes a good mask for people with moustaches.<br><br>That's about it...
05-24-2002, 04:55 PM,
i use a copy of a scuba pro frameless mask and it leaks a bit. When it does i just keep clearing it. Clearing it is now somthing i do involentarily and often. My beard is not going anywhere. I tried vasoline a few times but to make itwork i had to use a ton! Not worth it. More often than not it somehow seals perfectly even with all that wirey mustache hair.
05-25-2002, 04:43 AM,
Yes that is what I do as well. I have a mask with a purge valve so you don't have to tilt your head to clear it. I do try to keep a little area below the nose shaved and it helps. Decided it looks good that way. You just get used to occasionally exhaling into the mask.
Leon
05-29-2002, 06:55 AM,
Hey Chris does this board software do automatic "naughty" word conversions. I used a word in this thread defined as "To tilt or turn up or to one side, usually in a jaunty or alert manner."  It took the word out and replaced it with "thingy". ;D ;D ;D :-[ :-[ :Smile :Smile :Smile
Leon
05-29-2002, 07:21 AM,
Hehehe...<br><br><br>It does, but I don't know what would have sparked the filter. I will check into it. ;D
05-29-2002, 07:38 AM,
All the different suggestions are good, except the use of Vaseline to help lubricate the seal of the whiskers. Vaseline is a petrolium base which compound breaks down the structure of the silicone skirt of your mask. If you are intent on utilizing a lubricant, use pure silicone grease (food based), and you'll also actually be doing your mask some good.<br><br>
06-01-2002, 04:17 PM,
i keep mine trimmed real close before a dive and i use trident mask seal  (looks like a chapstik tube) works great
tony