Remember me
Lost Password Register

Jamaica Tips, Anyone
01-03-2005, 10:20 PM,
Jamaica Tips, Anyone
I'm going to Jamaica next fall. Long ways off, I know, but I tend to think ahead. It's for a wedding, so I need to be prepared to steer family members in the "right" direction so I can get some good diving in. Smile

The wedding is going to be in Ocho Rios on October 8th. Anyone been to Jamaica before and have some tips? I'm looking at flying into Montego Bay, because I have NWA miles to redeem and can't fly into Ocho Rios through them and I'd really only need to go to Ocho Rios for the wedding I suppose. Is Montego Bay a good place to go, or anyone have an idea of other places to go?

I'd be open to messages from anyone who has a condo or knows someone who does in Jamaica. Could possibly need a 3-4 bedroom if everyone will agree to stay together, which is likely.
01-05-2005, 05:27 PM,
Re:Jamaica Tips, Anyone
In 2002 my wife and I were on a cruise and one of our stops was at Ocho Rios. The ship offered dive excursions there so I got to dive. I don't know the name of the area we dove but it was very nice diving. My dive buddy for that trip had been there before and told me Ocho Rios has other areas to dive.
01-05-2005, 06:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2005, 06:29 PM by freedivernd.)
Re:Jamaica Tips, Anyone
wife and I were in Jamaica.. we traveled the coast from one end to the other. Because we didn't have reservations when we landed they were actually going to send us back to the states... well geez, we just landed, how were we supposed to know where we were staying? there was not much for diving from what we saw and heard so we only did the shore diving thing... well, freediving/snorkeling. Some of the clearest water I've ever been in was on the far end of Negril off the rocks/cliffs. Not much for fish or coral but the water was super clear and there were rock cliffs, etc. for structure. Lots of jellies though and was glad to have a wetsuit on! Sorry can't tell you much about diving Ocho or Montego, those shores were always so rough we couldn't get in and even if we had there was sand for so far out that it would have just been turned up and poor vis. Jamaica is the most unstable country I've ever been to. Terrible poor, lots of drugs, it's the one country I haven't felt safe walking around at night or even driving at night. It was fine to get away from the tourist cities and into the little villages where we were the only whities around, something the locals were definetly not used to seeing it seemed from their reactions to us shopping the local markets. Some people love the place...
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-28-2005, 11:55 AM,
Re: Jamaica Tips, Anyone
Just returned from negril 3 1/2 weeks ago, stayed at merril's. dove with Sun Divers at Point Village Resort. the people at the shop were awesome.

this web site shows the dive sites for the island, i'm sure there are more (just ask the guide for a 'secret spot', i'm sure for a small tip they could set you up).

for general travel info for jamaica you can visit here

?

lots of useful info and the people are friendly and willing to answer your questions.
01-28-2005, 12:19 PM,
Re: Jamaica Tips, Anyone
I was there last year... had the best dives of my life... I packed my cannister full of 'green scrubber'.  Had a little trouble, I guess.  Stared at a rock for four hours... if it hadn't been for the divers that found me...  Wink
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy