Remember me
Lost Password Register

Thinking of diving keys...info needed
01-06-2005, 10:45 PM,
Thinking of diving keys...info needed
I was on line today and saw that I can get a flight to Miami for $250. in the middle of Feb. I am thinking I will take a couple of days off and check out the keys.

Questions:

how far from miami to the keys?
anyone recomend a dive operator in the area?
cheap motels...or camping?

Thanks

Doug
AOW
01-07-2005, 12:21 PM,
Re:Thinking of diving keys...info needed
Depends are where you want to go... Key West from Key Largo is about 2 hrs. If you really want the scoop, call/drop-by Ryan Bonnema at Going Under Dive Center, he was a recent instructor down near Key West... very, very knowledgable re: Keys diving.

I've dove with Aquanuts & Horizon Divers (both near/in Key Largo)... they are cattle boats, though, and the second dive for the day is a pretty unimpressive, shallow reef dive... Both went to the 510' artificial reef 'Spiegle Grove', a really cool dive... it also has the Bibe & Duane wrecks, Christ of the Abyss and other sites... there is another dive outfit you might want to try, Quiessence (spelling???), they run small boats, go wherever you want, have nitrox available (and I know some folks who dove with them and really liked them).

They only place I've stayed is Kelly's on the Bay (I think) which coexists with Aquanuts... not a really fancy place but it is next to the Hobo Cafe... had some good times there!

Check out this link:

There a lot of fun dives around Ft. Lauderdale & Pompano Beach as well.

Hope this helps! Save Diving!
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
01-07-2005, 04:13 PM,
If you're flying into Miami, you might want to think about diving the East Coast. I have taken a couple trips to the Keys (the same ones Mark references below) and done one day of diving off Pompano Beach. Given the option of the two, I would do Pompano Beach again before the Keys. Reefs were more colorful and less beat up, and the Wrecks (err, artifical reefs) seemed to be more plentiful.
01-08-2005, 10:25 AM,
Check out in Key Largo. Did two dives on the Spiegel Grove with them. Only 2 divers so we did both dives on the wreck. They are very helpful but don't lecture, just give you the info you need about the dive. This trip was just after Thanks Giving, and I would dive with them agian.
Was glad we did both dives on the wreck as the reefs are very shallow and unimpressive.
Further down in the Key's in Cudjoe Key
Also did a dive with Anchor dive shop in Pompono, just north of Miami. Dove the Miller lite. All right dive, but nothing great. Would not use this shop again. This was the second time I tried them.
Al
01-08-2005, 11:38 PM,
I booked my tickets today, for feb 10-14, ;D I am excited. I think I will work my way down the east cost, starting in key largo. your suggestions have been great, I will look up Ryan this week and pick his brain,

keep it comming I am a sponge.

Thanks

Doug
AOW