Remember me
Lost Password Register

key largo report
02-15-2005, 09:17 AM,
key largo report
I got back from key largo last night.

I was suposed to do 4 dives on friday but the weather didn't understand that I had come all the way down and was uncooperative, 30 knot winds kept all the boats in.  This gave me the chance to check out Key West, so I touched the southern marker and did the tourst thing.

Saturday I did 4 dives with Rainbow Reef dove the benwood, and three spots on the reef, had a great time and got three of my dives out of the way for my AOW.

Sunday did two dives with Rainbow. one was my Deep dive, we went to the Spiegel grove, I have to say this was not a fun dive, The ship was cool looking (HUGE) but the current was rippin through there like nothing I have ever seen, you had to hang on the the ship to stop from being blowen off into the great green.  but I got the dive done and went to 100 ft with out event.

The next dive was to the Christ of the abiss, this is a very shallow dive and a chance to deco and see some great colors, I said a few hail mary's even though i am not catholic, Just  in case : Wink I also did my peak performance boyance dive to finish up my AOW. 

all in all a great trip had fun but would have like to dive on thursday, one thing I have to say about the keys I didn't find a whole lot to do other that dive, not that this in not enough, but I don't think I would bring the family for a week or anything.

Doug
AOW
02-16-2005, 10:38 AM,
Re: key largo report

OK , you go to Key Largo , and you don't call me???  I mean ...
Er....
Sorry about the current on the Grove...Last time I dove it we had hardly any...As they say , it really does change day to day ...

Jean

P.S.  Still loving Florida...

How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-16-2005, 10:58 AM,
Jean

P.S.  Still loving Florida...

Yet still no photos posted......what can we deduce by this?
A) Jean is just TOO busy diving
B) Jean is working TOO hard
OR
C) Jean doesn't like us anymore?  j/k

Stay Safe down there!
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
02-16-2005, 11:23 AM,
Jean

I thought you were up in the pan handle?

Doug
AOW
02-17-2005, 09:50 AM,
I went there over Christmas.  We did a number of shallow water dives and then finished on the Duane.  We had a fair amount of current also so we started our dive against it and finished up swimming with it back to our ascent line.

It was a blast anyway with a big Eagle RAY waiting outside the Wheelhouse and a Barracuda driving the ship! ;D

Pete

Pete Mayer
02-17-2005, 03:33 PM,

A.  I am diving every weekend !!!!
B.  Trying not to work THAT HARD...
C.  Hey , I loves all of yous guys !!!!

so...

Just haven't had time to post the pics !!!

(oops...)

And yes I am staying safe down here....

OH and Doug , I live in Jacksonville...Diving all points south and west...

Jean
04-13-2005, 08:42 AM,
Thanks for the report.  I am headed down to Key Largo at the end of May for 3 days with Rainbow Reef, then off to Key West for Memorial Day weekend.  You didn't comment on the servie or boats at Rainbow, so I guessed they must be pretty decent.  They sure do have a great website ().  Any dining or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Puck
04-13-2005, 03:46 PM,
They have two boats that they run out of Key Largo, one is a small boat that can hold 6 max and is thier fast boat, when I was there it was the boat that they were using to run out to the Spiegel Grove, If you are going to dive that hope for light current, I just about got blowen off of it into the great deep. Thier large boat could hold probably 12, set up nicely for a dive boat easy exit and entry. 

The crew is nice I enjoyed thier sence of humor and aproachability, They weren't a great amount of help as far as changing out your tanks and stuff (you hear stories of boats the pamper you , this is not it).  They have watter on board in a cooler for you but no snacks or anything, you can throw anything you want in thier cooler.  They also have two water tubs for you camera and stuff like that.

I would dive with them again.

Key largo itself ????? I was not that impressed, the food choices were not the best there is a nice place in the Holiday inn, but expensive.  I expected more cool places to eat and better sea food.  Key west is a better choice for eating.

Have a great trip and let us know what you think when you get back

Doug
AOW
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM,

Puck:
Let me know and I can check with them Florida Conch's divers down here (the Florida dive crew)...They might know some really nice places you can stay around there that might not be all that expensive etc ...
(lets see if I can pull some strings for you )

Let me know !!!

Jean