Remember me
Lost Password Register

Is this like childbirth?
02-22-2005, 11:56 PM,
Is this like childbirth?
OK - I know I won't make a decision tonight but I can't do this.  I had my 1st lesson tonight and I couldn't make it thru the whole class.  I did ok until I had to switch between the snorkel and respirator.  By that time each time I switched I got a breath and mask full of water.  Don't know if it was the equipment or me but i had to stop each switch.  My leg kept cramping up too.   I ended up leaving the class before it was done.  I really couldn't face a mask off drill underwater?  It now been moe than 2 hours since I left the pool and I still get upset when I think about the night?

Is diving like childbirth?  Once you go thru the horrors is it wonderful?  -- I hope there are some women divers here!

Are real dives this intense?  My husband (he's certified) and I have a dive trip scheduled mid-March.  I really don't want to screw it up but this is supposed to be fun? Any suggestions?
02-23-2005, 12:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2005, 12:43 AM by Appolion.)
Re: Is this like childbirth?
On the first night in the pool my instructor told us that we would all spend about 2/3 of the time adjusting the mask. That was true. I got water in my mask all the time and it was very frustrating. You have to remember that when you first get your mask, its not really fitted to your face. It takes a bit of time and small adjustments for the mask to fit comfortably. It doesn't need to be excessively tight. Look in your book, it should show you a "sniff" test you can do with your mask to test the seal against your face. It was somewhat difficult for me to take the regulator out and put it back in underwater because I moved my upper lip too much and it let water in my mask. That goes away with time and getting to know the equipment. As far as the cramps go; you might want to stretch before you put on the equipment. The physiological changes that occur when going from an above water environment to an underwater environment can really play tricks on the body. I have found that just trying to relax and take it at your own pace is the best way to get used to the changes.  Diving is supposed to be a relaxing adventure and will become one with time. The awkward gear is difficult to get used to, but soon that feeling will go away. I hope this helps.
02-23-2005, 06:08 AM,
One bit of advice I'd give to help prevent the leg cramps is to drink lots of water.  Leg cramps are often caused from dehydration.
02-23-2005, 08:13 AM,
I can't comment on childbirth, but it took me a while to take to this sport.  My first experience was so horrible, I was never going to be in water again -- including a bath tub.  Showers would be fine, but actually being in water brought back horrible feelings.  Prior to that experience, we had been snorkeling around the world and it was years before I could even do that again.

That being said, I now love diving! I took the certification class with my husband about 5 years later and, thanks to the patience of the instructors (thanks, Smith Diving), discovered a wonderful activity to share with him.  Take it slow, don't try to rush it.  This isn't a race.  If the instructor you are working with isn't able to help you learn the skills, look for another instructor.  People have different learning styles and not every instructor is able to teach every student.  Find someone you are comfortable with and give it another try.  I am really glad that I didn't let my first experience stop me forever!
02-23-2005, 09:54 AM,
I appreciate your input.  I don't where this will lead. 

I had a thought this morning.  I woke up and my face was splotchy.  I thought it was from the clorine.  My eyes were also puffy - again blamed it on a late night/early morning.  But when I got to work my boss asked if I was allergic to something.  I guess I looked as bad to others as I did to myself.  It seems to be mostly my face, red spotchy, burning and my eyes are burning ang very puffy.  I'm thinking maybe the de-fogging drops.  I didn't have my own mask, we weren't supposed to have pool time the 1st night.   Might that have caused my mask to not fit as well in the end. 
I'm going to call the instructor and find out exactly what is in that stuff and maybe find an alternative.
02-23-2005, 11:03 AM,
using your own mask will help a huge amount, my wife has a small face and struggled with the rental masks and was ready to pack it in but we went out and bought her a good mask and fins that were not too big.  This helped her get through the class.  She often compared it to hazing, she kept saying if you do these tasks you can be in the club  Smile.  She too had to realy relax when it came to removing the mask and skills like that but we had a good instructor that took the time and we are now enjoying diving together. 

keep at it and good luck

Doug
AOW
02-23-2005, 12:48 PM,
just relax, it sort of sounds like you're a bit nervous about the whole 'diving thing'? take some time to unwind and get used to the environment, your body is being put through something it knows is'nt right...

diving is relaxing and fun, trying to do skills when your stressed doesn't help. take an extra second before the skill, take a deep breath and when you're ready, it'll be easy...

i remember during my second pool training session, my instructor had me remove my mask, but each time i did, i got water in my sinuses. i was upset because i had done it countless times the day before. i took a few minutes to relax and tried again, no problem...
02-23-2005, 12:58 PM,
Diving is peaceful!  If things go well and you adjust to your equipment and the people around you.... it can have a real relaxing affect on you.  I dreamed of diving since I was a little kid and have always been at home in the water swimming right through High School and a bit into college.

I was certified in 1978 finally but didn't dive again and continue until 1996.  My first dives weren't always that fun.  Don't let the first experience scare you.  Take a max and snorkel to a pool and just fool around with it until you've got it feeling good.

Above all, don't compare yourself and your experiences to the all the other "Diver Dans" of the world.  Get a good instructor and take it at your own pace.

Pete
Pete Mayer
02-23-2005, 02:04 PM,

Well , er , I think most people on the board can tell you that there is at least ONE CRAZY , INSANE , DIVE-HOOKED , (er...) woman on the board...

Gee , who would that be???

From my experiences as a Dive-Master , working with students , what you are describing is not uncommon...I could sugest some things you could try on your own before you go back to class to practice with that might take some of that FEAR away!!!!

Don't let this experience scare you away...Please !!!!!
I know from my own experience that this is something that does *NOT* come natually to most people , including myself btw !!!

Take care , and you can private message me if you wish etc...

Thank you

Jean N.

P.S.  Oh yes , if all possible , buy a good mask !!!!  Sometimes that can make all the difference in the world !!!

How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-23-2005, 03:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2005, 11:04 AM by beeger.)
I’ve worked with a number of students over the years who have had situations similar to yours (men and women). It’s hard to speak to these things without actually working with you in the water. But here are some thoughts based on a fair amount of experience: First, remember that at all times you are in control and have options in the water. This sounds obvious but it is often forgotten. Panic usually comes about from feeling you like are not in control and “stuck.” Even with a mouth and nose full of water you are still in control. Second, slow down, not just physically but psychologically. Don’t be so focused on successfully completing a task. Focus more on the trying. For example, when the instructor tells you to clear your mask underwater, don’t be so focused on the end goal of clearing your mask. Instead, think to yourself “ok, I’m going to bring my hands up to my mask and see how that feels … now I’m going to tip my mask forward and flood it a bit and see how that feels … ok, now it is flooded … now I’m going to press on the top and breathe out and see if I can clear it … hmmm, it’s not totally cleared, I’ll try again … there, it’s cleared.” Yes, properly fitting dive equipment is important, but it's also important not to associate your stress with the equipment. Remember, it is you who are in control, not the gear.

You are undoubtedly focused on your upcoming trip, and this is causing you additional stress. Try to detach yourself from this. Maybe you dive on the trip, maybe not. Maybe you snorkel, maybe not. Maybe you work with an instructor there, maybe not. Anything … remember that you are in control and have options. Once you reduce the pressure of having to do something it becomes easier. Scuba isn’t for everybody, but I have yet to see someone who, all other things being equal, wanted to learn to dive who could not learn to dive. Unfortunately with the very limited amount of pool time that comes with the average scuba class you simply aren't given as much time as I think most people need. I would encourage you to explore options like additional pool time and help you get more comfortable. I’m sure your dive shop can suggest options.

Above all, cut yourself some slack.   Smile
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe