Remember me
Lost Password Register

Great Lakes Aquarium- volunteer divers
03-15-2005, 01:28 PM,
Re: Great Lakes Aquarium- volunteer divers
If they had more integrating exhibits like underwater world where you can interact with the animals, or maybe they could just add a tropical aquarium like the new zoo. I know they are supposed to be a freshwater aquarium but this could help. Or perhaps they could have an actual shipwreck in the aqaurium that you could see underwater from a divers point of view. Ok.... sorry now i have gone off on a tangent but any of these would make it a more exciting place to visit.
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
03-15-2005, 04:21 PM,
The city has just approved a $150,000 grant for an exhibit called "The Abyss", which from what I understand will be a saltwater display.  That's really what they need, although saltwater costs may be higher than freshwater.  We're in the middle of the continent...how many kids and adults for that matter, have seen, or ever will see, saltwater species?
03-15-2005, 07:12 PM,
I went to the Aquarium last April.  It's the only time I've been there.  It seemed to me that it was geared more towards children.  I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing but like Shamre was kinda saying, the exhibits seemed to be lacking something.  I guess I expected more.  It's a really nice facility but there's definately a lot of room for improvement in my opinion.  Given the budget concerns that's probably not going to come easily.  It would be a shame to see them have to close down.
03-16-2005, 09:21 AM,
I agree.  For starters, they need to get a schedule of varied exhibits to give people a reason to return.  Beyond that, they need a number of complementary revenue streams.

Take the MN Zoo for example.  They have the primary "traditional" zoo facilities, freshwater and marine exhibits, dolphins (with shows/feedings), the Zoo School (grant/research $, tuition, etc.), an IMAX theatre, and finally good eating facilities/food.  The MN Zoo also happens to be in a metro area of 2.5 million people...

For the GL Aquarium, there are many complementary offerings which could be pursued...  To start, I would think eating facilities and marine exhibits.  Beyond that they should perhaps consider educational/research facilities (perhaps affiliations with the UofM, UMD, etc.), an IMAX and/or Omnimax theatre, a Shipwreck Museum, dinner cruise operations, dive operations, etc.

I've been there once but I wouldn't feel compelled to head back right away unless there are other things to see/do.
- Dan
03-16-2005, 11:04 AM,

The immediate area by the waterfront has some of these things...Omnimax, Cruises, Maritime museum, William A Irving, and a host of eating establishments in the canal park area. 

I do think it would be neat to have a restaurant where you could sit and watch the fish tank...two stories tall! 
03-26-2005, 05:24 PM,
I was just at the aquarium this morning watchiing the divers feed the fish.  Got into an interesting conversation with one of the gals from animal husbandry.  First of all, for volunteers, there is no longer any required annual hours to volunteer, which is good for those who are far away. They do require a physical, and a checkout session with Jay. 

She was also talking of the facilities they don't use very often.  There is a full kitchen on the top floor, and pleny of room for seating.  Her main thought was to have banquets there for Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, a fishing contest in the area, etc.  Many possibilities for money making events. 

She also mentioned that a shark tank has been talked about...but that's all, just talked about. 

So if anyone wants to volunteer, give them a call.  Sad thing is, no volunteers are signed up from today forward...the calander is blank.  I'll be diving Saturday morning, and that's it so far.  They'd be grateful for the help!  It's fun!