Remember me
Lost Password Register

Experience
08-04-2002, 05:55 PM,
Experience
It looks like many of the members here are new to fairly new to diving. I surmised this by reviewing some of the questions and reviewing the buddy list. FYI, the drop out rate in scuba diving is extremely high. I think this is due to many factors. Two factors are that it take quite a bit of effort in Mn to dive and the other is that newer divers need buddies. I am suggesting that we try to organize two dives per month for members of this forum between now and the end of October. I would encourage more experience divers to participate to show the newbies the way. It appears that many of you are from the Twin Cities area and head over to Wazee often. I think Crosby may be more cental, especially for those from ND. It is too late now but next year we could plan a trip on Lake Superior.
08-04-2002, 07:19 PM,
Re:Experience
You are correct many people that post on the board here are pretty new divers, myself included (still under 50 dives). Heck, Chris started this board before he was even certified. Two organized group dives a month would be great but I think there are a couple of the reasons why there haven't been more group dive get togethers set up on this particular board. One is that this board is not an "organized dive club". It is a free public open forum aimed at providing info on anything to do with diving in Minnesota and surrounding states, along with being a great place to find new dive buddies. It can be tough getting a high number of people to turn out for dive get togethers during the summer months with varying schedules and the fact that again, this is not an "organized dive club". It takes a "club like" organization to actually put together trips and dive get togethers on a regular basis and since there isn't a structured leadership in place to consistently do that here. Chris can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think it was ever really his intent to start this board up to be a "dive club" but that is not to say that larger group dive get togethers can't be organized on this board...we've done a few so far and they've been great. I think one way this board really shines is when a group or groups of divers have gotten together for dives by word of posting on this forum on short notices. Almost every week theres a post "Who's diving this weekend?" and that leads to people finding buddies and setting up dives on a weeks or even less notice. <br> Also, don't forget, a group of us are planning to dive the shipwreck Madeira on Saturday Aug. 24th and it would be great to see you join us. Hopefully the weather will be good. I also agree that it would be nice to have more experienced divers take part posting on the board. There have been some and their comments are greatly appreciated. Okay, I've rambled long enough. DSAOSmile
08-04-2002, 07:52 PM,
GP, thanks for the post and you are absolutely correct. The sites primary focuses are education, fun and helping divers meet other divers. Dive get togethers combine these, however it's up to individuals (members of the site) to organize any get together and it seems to be working pretty well, comments and suggestions on how to improve this are ALWAYS welcomed!!!<br><br>Chris
08-05-2002, 04:52 PM,
Thanks for the replys. I appreciate the offer to join you for the Maderia on 8/24 but unfortunately(actually fortunately) I will be diving Isle Royale that weekend. I plan to be up at Crosby testing out some new dry gloves this weekend if anyone is interested.